LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
New to the forum

Hi All,

My name is Curt and I recently acquired a 67 GTO (below) that needs a lot of love! This will be only my second restoration project. The first, a 79 Trans Am Se (below), is on the very threshold of completion after working on it for 6.5 years. The Goat needs even more work than the Bird did, including quite a bit of welding (of which I've done very little), but I'm looking forward to it.

Working on cars was something I didn't grow up doing, only getting started about 20 years ago (in my 40's) when my kids were getting their cars. I began taking adult ed auto body classes at a local tech school and still do. My entire TA project was done in those classes and my garage. But I still have much to learn and look forward to tapping into the accumulated knowledge on this forum. Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_134a.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	119735   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1286.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	119737  
RMTZ67 and curtis.smith68 like this.

It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:50 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Garage
Don't know if I would $restore it as you will probably be upside down on it value wise, but I would resto-mod it and have fun. Check out Curtis' 1968 thread.

Welcome aboard!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Curt, got to love the 67 body lines. Although the 79 doesn't look to shabby.

Jim

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Jim. I'll be determining my approach as I go. My car came with a ton of parts including all trim, chrome & badges. I'm planning to do as much work myself as possible (I even bought the previous owners' welder from him). Another plus is that I live only about an hour from Ames in NH. Should save me a bunch on shipping

Unfortunately, I'm not very tech/forum savvy. How do I locate Curtis' thread?

Curt

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Never mind - found it. Great stuff.

Didn't realize we could include all that info/pics in a post/thread. Similar info/pics re: my TA is included in my garage but I have many more pics. I'll be taking a bunch of the GTO as I go.

This is my ultimate goal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_126d.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	119801  

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDub67 View Post
Never mind - found it. Great stuff.

Didn't realize we could include all that info/pics in a post/thread. Similar info/pics re: my TA is included in my garage but I have many more pics. I'll be taking a bunch of the GTO as I go.

This is my ultimate goal.
Excellent! We all enjoy watching a build go together and answer questions or throw out suggestions. Doing as much as you can saves $money, and gets you intimate with your car so YOU know your car and can't be BS'd by anyone who really has not a clue about older cars. These cars are very basic. Hint: Don't set any time frames and whatever your budget, KNOW that you are going to go over and beyond it! LOL

Make sure you have a Service Manual which can be very helpful in understanding the mechanicals. If you don't know how to go about something, at least you have the correct terms and some idea of what it is you and us are talking about.

Mig welding is not too hard. Must have clean metal, no rust etc., very important for Mig. Under the lid of most Mig welders is a basic setting guide and you adjust from there. Use the correct wire and shielding gas. I have tried the flux/wire with the Mig and don't think it really is any good as compared to the gas shielding. Biggest thing to get under control is heat - heat warps. So stitch welding is best. Take a look at Shake-N-Bake's 1968 GTO build as he has some great photos of exactly this.

Measure twice, maybe three times, and cut once. If unsure, cut smaller, test fit and then cut as needed.

There are books to guide you, and YouTube has a lot of videos. If you have a local tech school, they might work with you, and you might also get some help from your local welding supplier in that they make bring you in the back room and let you do some welding and/or give you some instruction. You can also go to your local fabricator and get some strips of the same gauge sheet metal as you may be welding up and simply practice - that is how we train our guys at work who never welded before. Slowly they get the hang of adjusting the "heat" and wire speed.

Keep in mind that some tools are specific to the job and if you do not have them, sometimes they are available for rent - unless you want to buy them. My favorites are the torch, high speed die grinder with cut-off wheel, the BFH, and the bigger BFH (ie sledge). If doing electrical work, a test light and Ohm meter. Always use proper eye protection, gloves/sleeves if welding, and hearing protection. And always have a fire extinguisher on hand if doing hot work.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Super advice, much of which I learned with my TA resto - especially the part about it taking longer and costing more than anticipated! My 5yr. plan turned into 6+ and I have a bundle of receipts that I'm kinda afraid to total up! (Hope you take a peek at the TA in my garage. It has pics of the process.)

I've accumulated a pretty good arsenal of tools (but you can never have enough!), am already acquiring the needed manuals, have catalogued the parts I have, and am making notes of what I'll need. As I progress, I'll no doubt be inquiring here about needed parts.

So, do I just start a new thread to document my project? Again, I'm a newbee to forum life and don't want to mess up/violate any rules.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDub67 View Post
Super advice, much of which I learned with my TA resto - especially the part about it taking longer and costing more than anticipated! My 5yr. plan turned into 6+ and I have a bundle of receipts that I'm kinda afraid to total up! (Hope you take a peek at the TA in my garage. It has pics of the process.)

I've accumulated a pretty good arsenal of tools (but you can never have enough!), am already acquiring the needed manuals, have catalogued the parts I have, and am making notes of what I'll need. As I progress, I'll no doubt be inquiring here about needed parts.

So, do I just start a new thread to document my project? Again, I'm a newbee to forum life and don't want to mess up/violate any rules.

Yep, just post a new thread along with all the other car builds and keep up with it. One of the administrators should make it a "sticky" so it does not get lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Forum Discussion > Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in