New Member - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi. Just joined. I am hoping for some help. I am restoring a 1969 GTO Judge and am trying to establish a parts list.
Can someone tell me what size steering wheel came originally? I need to replace the one due to damage, and am confused as to the correct size. I have a 15" steering wheel but was told that the original was a 16" steering wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:50 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fboenig View Post
Hi. Just joined. I am hoping for some help. I am restoring a 1969 GTO Judge and am trying to establish a parts list.
Can someone tell me what size steering wheel came originally? I need to replace the one due to damage, and am confused as to the correct size. I have a 15" steering wheel but was told that the original was a 16" steering wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you are restoring any year Pontiac A-body, the first thing you want to do before you touch a thing, is get the supporting literature for your year car. I assume you have verified and have the PHS documents for your car which give you all the factory build info for your car?

Purchase a chassis manual which is available from most any Pontiac parts suppliers in either a reproduction book form or CD. You can also check Ebay.

Next you will want to get one of the many GTO restoration guides found at Amazon.com or at your local bookstore. These will have diagrams, photos, and written info that will do what they are supposed to do - guide the restoration.

Don't look to people who are not Pontiac owners or enthusiasts as any information from other than a solid source will only add to confuse you as you are right now with regards to the correct steering wheel.

You will get plenty of answers and help here on the forum, but knowing what part you are looking at and what it is you are needing help with can be enhanced by you doing some leg work and creating a knowledge base about your car in all its glory - mechanical, electrical, body, and interior. You won't enjoy your car to its fullest potential if you don't know your car.

The '69 had 2 steering wheel options - the Deluxe steering wheel (which was a standard option 1968-70), and the Custom Sport steering wheel (an option that would show up on your PHS documents, 1969-70).

1969-70 Deluxe steering wheels were color keyed to match the interior color, unless you had a parchment interior, then you got a black.

I do not show a size for the steering wheel. Someone here can probably supply that size.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the response. Yes I did get the PHS documentation and it shows code 462 - Custom Sports Steering Wheel. I will pursue the guides you suggested to see if I can add to my library as well, just struggling to find out the size issue of the steering wheel.
I've already experience a lot of help from people who don't really seem to know and have been quite confused at times. I've also connected with some very knowledgeable individuals who have been a great asset. I am trying to cover most things before I dive in and get stuck down the road.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fboenig View Post
Thanks for the response. Yes I did get the PHS documentation and it shows code 462 - Custom Sports Steering Wheel. I will pursue the guides you suggested to see if I can add to my library as well, just struggling to find out the size issue of the steering wheel.
I've already experience a lot of help from people who don't really seem to know and have been quite confused at times. I've also connected with some very knowledgeable individuals who have been a great asset. I am trying to cover most things before I dive in and get stuck down the road.

I assume your original wheel has been replaced?

From my sources, the '69-70 has a shallower depth to the spokes as compared to the 1967 and some 1968's. These wheels will fit, but are not the correct ones.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:28 PM

Garage
OK, wanted to answer this post so it may be of help to someone.

I measured my 1968 Lemans steering wheel, the standard offered wheel, not the deluxe wood wheel. I am not a steering wheel expert and am not sure if the industry standard uses the outside measurement of the wheel, the inside steel ring to which the plastic outer rim is molded, or some other way. I for the most part am figuring on an outside diameter used to measure a wheel, but was also able to measure the core steel ring.

I measured using a tape measure (not the most accurate) and placing the tape on the outside of the molded plastic rim - so there could be variances in measurements from one wheel to another, but this should be close.

I measured horizontal (side-to-side) across at the spokes. I get 16" outside to outside. The metal trim on the spokes is even with the molded plastic rim, so no extra protrusion on the width measurement. I get 15 1/8" outside to outside measuring vertical ( top-to-bottom). So not a perfect circle and this was confirmed as I took diagonal measurements - wider at the center and narrowed down as you measured vertical.

My wheel is shot, really cracked and split, to the point I can see the steel inner ring which the plastic is molded on to. Measuring top-to-bottom from the center to center of the formed core steel ring, I get 14 1/2" (14.500").

My wheel is cracked enough that the steel rod is .370" in diameter as I measured it. At the top of my wheel (the vertical position), the edge of the plastic measured down into the edge of the steel rod was .130". Opposite this at the bottom vertical, I got .275," or just more than double at the top which would indicate a shift in the steel ring - ie, not a perfectly centered orientation between the steel ring core and the molded outer plastic ring. Taking the steel core ring measurement and adding the above numbers, 14.500" + .405" (.130"+.275") = 14.905" which is not far off from what I got with the 15 1/8" outside vertical measurement.

That said, in my opinion, the steering wheel is a 15" diameter wheel. However, if using just the vertical measurement only (which is the way most of us would quickly measure a steering wheel), someone would also be correct to call it a 16" wheel.

What you can say without question is that it is not a 14" wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Forum Discussion > Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in