Pontiac GTO Forum banner

No throttle response after rebuild. Duh!!!

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RMTZ67 
#1 ·
Well after having done the engine breakin on my 67, I took it out last weekend to seat the rings. I Couldn't believe the lack of power. Thought I may need to adjust the valves or something. So I brought it home and parked it and was contemplating my next move when, I thought to myself that the throttle pedal didn't quite feel the same as it had in the past. Now it being a year and a half since I drove it last I called my wife in the garage to help with my mistress lol. Anyway I ask her to step on the pedal to the floor, and I proceeded to see if I had anymore throttle left on the carb and wahala. I had 3/4 of carb throttle left.so I started looking for the reason I wasn't getting the full throttle response. The answer was right in front of me. Get this. Instead of putting the front little barrel (for lack of a better word) in the cable bracket notch, I put the back. So I put it back correctly Then had my wife step on the pedal again. And all was well again. I couldn't believe I did that. Stuff like that worries you after tinkering with internal parts on a rebuild lol. But thank God it started on the first click and ran well other than this issue. Looking forward to taking out this weekend having a full throttle at my disposal. I started removing the screw on the bracket to change the cable when I decided to take the pic. I could have used all the emojis in this post. But didn't know how to access them on my phone.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Funny...glad it was something simple....

By any chance, have you tested if you are getting complete 100% open throttle when the gas pedal is floored (I wonder how many actually test) ? I have found that I am not and am trying to figure out the easiest way to rectify.

#4 ·
So adding the new notch about a 1/4 farther back gave me pretty much most of the throttle I had at the carb. Just did not get the chance to take it to the street this weekend. I cut it clean thru notched it,filed it and rewelded but, I think you could use a 1/8 or next smaller bit and drill it out in a line or something to that effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.