User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
06 brake fade! need your experience.

hi guys,

I live in france and drive my 06 GTO m6 here every day. I live close to the Alps, so roads turn a lot, hills everywhere! A perfect playground! Problem : 3 months ago my stock brakes cooked! I Blued all 4 rotors and killed the pads . "No Big deal" I said, I'll upgrade with better stuff.

I ordered F&R discs from R1 concept and EBC Red stuff pads F&R also.
I followed the bed in procedure. Now the brakes have 1000 km on them (about 700miles) normal driving. Last week I decided to play a little and started to drive faster.......and faster as I'm used to. After about 5 to 6 BIG decelerations ( like from 140mph to 40), It started to smell the hot brakes. So I calmed down drove back home.

My pads are cracked and rotors are not far from being blue again. Hopefully, they're still good.

question: are EBC pads POS ? I'm about to order hawks pads. Which one should I order? HPS? HPS+ ?

I plan to roadrace the car at the track once a month or so. I really need Brakes that do the job in a budget friendly way.

I'll remove dust shields this week end to help cooling a bit.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:25 PM

I have EBC pads on other cars in the past with nothing bad to say. On my GTO I'm running DBA 4000XS rotors with Hawk HPS pads. I belive our fronts you can use C5 Hawk pads(they have a little more surface area and fit in our caliper with no mods).

I'm on 25k miles with them and no issues.

There is also a sticky in here with a write up how to shim down your brake covers I belive. It may allow better heat reduction.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold

Last edited by jpalamar; 11-13-2009 at 10:56 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_goat_happy View Post
hi guys,

I live in france and drive my 06 GTO m6 here every day. I live close to the Alps, so roads turn a lot, hills everywhere! A perfect playground! Problem : 3 months ago my stock brakes cooked! I Blued all 4 rotors and killed the pads . "No Big deal" I said, I'll upgrade with better stuff.

I ordered F&R discs from R1 concept and EBC Red stuff pads F&R also.
I followed the bed in procedure. Now the brakes have 1000 km on them (about 700miles) normal driving. Last week I decided to play a little and started to drive faster.......and faster as I'm used to. After about 5 to 6 BIG decelerations ( like from 140mph to 40), It started to smell the hot brakes. So I calmed down drove back home.

My pads are cracked and rotors are not far from being blue again. Hopefully, they're still good.

question: are EBC pads POS ? I'm about to order hawks pads. Which one should I order? HPS? HPS+ ?

I plan to roadrace the car at the track once a month or so. I really need Brakes that do the job in a budget friendly way.

I'll remove dust shields this week end to help cooling a bit.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.
I'm using 06 brake setup on my GTO with dust shields removed and EBC Yellows. I tracked my car and taken it on the mountain roads. I can say the front rotors cry for help and you can smell the brakes get hot but no fade. You really need to shead some heat, some good rotors will help along with some good pads that can stand up to the heat.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:01 AM

I need to do something about my stockers... they warp when they get hot. It's very annoying.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
I have EBC pads on other cars in the past with nothing bad to say. On my GTO I'm running DBA 4000XS rotors with Hawk HPS pads. I belive our fronts you can use C5 Hawk pads(they have a little more surface area and fit in our caliper with no mods).

I'm on 25k miles with them and no issues. There is also a sticky in here with a write up how to shim down your brake covers I belive. It may allow better heat reduction.
How are those? I was thinking of getting those rotors and the SSBC Front 3 Piston Calipers (link)

ʞuıɥʇ noʎ ʇ,uop 'ǝɹɹɐzıq
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:41 AM

I have no brake fade or anything. No issues I can honestly say. They are strong enough to lock up too. I've kicked the ABS on dry days so I know I haven't peaked to the point of better calipers yet.

My favorite part of the DBA rotors is that the hat as 3 holes you can put small bolts in. If I remembered the thread and bolt size, popping the rotors off would be a snap!

On a side note, my friend bought a rotor/pad combo from eBay for $400. They are slotted and have semi-metallic pads. He complains about stopping in the rain. He said it feels like they just don't grip. I don't have that issue.

Oh, and if you slam the brakes at high speed, it looks like a sparkeler in your wheel. Really cool at night. First time I saw it, I thought the guy I was 'driving' next to broke something or popped at tire.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in