'06 Clutch adjustment? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'06 Clutch adjustment?

I can't seem to get the hang of the clutch in my '06 M6. I haven't stalled it yet, but my shifts are not what I would call smooth either. When releasing the pedal, the clutch engages too close to the floor for my taste. Can this be adjusted? In the old days you had a little room to adjust the point where the clutch starts to engage, depending on your preference. I prefer mine to be about half or two-thirds toward the top of the pedal travel. Anyone know if this can be adjusted on the GTO? Thanks,

KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegbelly
I can't seem to get the hang of the clutch in my '06 M6. I haven't stalled it yet, but my shifts are not what I would call smooth either. When releasing the pedal, the clutch engages too close to the floor for my taste. Can this be adjusted? In the old days you had a little room to adjust the point where the clutch starts to engage, depending on your preference. I prefer mine to be about half or two-thirds toward the top of the pedal travel. Anyone know if this can be adjusted on the GTO? Thanks,

KB
All I'll say is that my concern is the exact opposite. My clutch new 06 engages damned near the top of the arch. I still go all the way down, but I engage like 80% of the way up, which also makes smooth starts a bit of an issue.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Is there a lot of difference from car to car in the clutches on these cars? I wouldn't want mine letting out at the top of the pedal either, but when it starts grabbing an inch off the floor, that's too low for me. I've been driving sticks for 25+ years, so I'm not new to a clutch, but the low release point constantly catches me off guard. I have to really think about it on every shift.

KB

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPuzza View Post
All I'll say is that my concern is the exact opposite. My clutch new 06 engages damned near the top of the arch. I still go all the way down, but I engage like 80% of the way up, which also makes smooth starts a bit of an issue.
I am having the same problem as you and I wonder if you can adjust where the clutch pedal grabs...help please!

Last edited by gizmo7992; 04-30-2007 at 09:20 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 AM

thats wierd because mine is the opposite also... it engages almost all the way out... id say 2 or 3 inches from being completely let out. I would want it a little closer to the floor maybe at like 4"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 PM

The only way would be to adjust the lenth of the clutch master cylinder rod.But unfortunatly they are solid with no adjustment from what Ive read.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 PM

Hydrolic clutches are not really adustable. You are thinking cable clutch. The hydrolic assist is designed to eliminate stretched cables and give a nice linear, smooth pressure.

If your clutch is catching super low, bleed the brakes, then the circuit for the clutch slave. Often low clutch grab is caused by poor fluid quality in the clutch hydrolic circuit.

If it's catching really high, you may be looking at a new clutch or PP issue.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottheweakwilled View Post
Hydrolic clutches are not really adustable. You are thinking cable clutch. The hydrolic assist is designed to eliminate stretched cables and give a nice linear, smooth pressure.

If your clutch is catching super low, bleed the brakes, then the circuit for the clutch slave. Often low clutch grab is caused by poor fluid quality in the clutch hydrolic circuit.

If it's catching really high, you may be looking at a new clutch or PP issue.
ouch that really stinks i hope i dont have any problems i guess if it really is something that can't be adjusted i will have to deal with it for now

Last edited by gizmo7992; 05-01-2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in