06 Differential Question, Please help shed some light - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
06 Differential Question, Please help shed some light

Ive seen this mentioned a few times on here, but I really dislike the diffs behavior. When I am going straight, under full power, or dumping the clutch , both tires spin. Turning any kind of corner in the wet or the dry and only 1 tire spins, Its nearly impossible to do a donut on wet or dry roads. I changed out the stock fluid at 18k to royal purple Max gear (85w 140 i think) My 94 Firebird with a clutch and spring type posi was 1000 times better than this pile. Is this the correct function of these types of diff? or is there something wrong, Im still under factory warranty till march so time is coming up soon to get it taken care of. Also a side note, I want to change the gears after warranty expires to 3.91s, I tried a site for difftechnics I had saved but it no longer works, any ideas where I can purchase a new gear set?

06 GTO IBM 408 Stroker-Sold
06 Corvette, Supercharged 607whp, RPM trans and Diff, RPS twin disc, Z06 susp, Dewitts Rad, Custom Fuel system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:16 AM

Sounds kinda weird. May be a traction control issue. This may be a dumb Q but, you ARE trying what you state with the TC off right?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 05:21 AM

friction modifier

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taztassio View Post
friction modifier
Its already in the RP. Its the same stuff I use and have no issues.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 AM

Seems like its a common thing with the GTO diffs. Our diffs are cone type I beleave.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:39 AM
GTOAA 04-06 Technical Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06goatm6 View Post
Ive seen this mentioned a few times on here, but I really dislike the diffs behavior. When I am going straight, under full power, or dumping the clutch , both tires spin. Turning any kind of corner in the wet or the dry and only 1 tire spins, Its nearly impossible to do a donut on wet or dry roads. I changed out the stock fluid at 18k to royal purple Max gear (85w 140 i think) My 94 Firebird with a clutch and spring type posi was 1000 times better than this pile. Is this the correct function of these types of diff? or is there something wrong, Im still under factory warranty till march so time is coming up soon to get it taken care of. Also a side note, I want to change the gears after warranty expires to 3.91s, I tried a site for difftechnics I had saved but it no longer works, any ideas where I can purchase a new gear set?
Our diffs are cone type, and they wear. If you are under warranty, take it to the dealer but expect to have to prove your point. DO NOT mention donuts or powersliding. Instead, tell them when you go through a puddle or when you had to partially get into grass with 1 side of the car, the side in the puddle or mud was turning but the one on dry ground was not.

If you are out warranty, you can try a Difftech diff spring upgrade. This replaces the springs inside with tougher springs and also has larger shims for the spider gears. If you need to know where to get these, PM me as they are not sponsors on here.

If you want to go all out, you can go with a Detroit True Trac or a Kaaz. The Detroit True Trac uses a helical gear design and the Kaaz uses a plate/clutch system. Kaaz (I have one in my car) is for more HP and is about double the price of the Detroit True Trac. Again, PM me if you need a contact.

Jerry
GTOAA '04-'06 Technical Advisor

My Shop
KPE - Klaus Performance Engineering

2004 Pontiac GTO 6.7/M6/Barbados Blue (1 of 271) My Car Page
Featured in the April 2007 High Performance Pontiac Magazine
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Also a side note, I want to change the gears after warranty expires to 3.91s, I tried a site for difftechnics I had saved but it no longer works, any ideas where I can purchase a new gear set?
Rocksand Racing. Ask for Frank.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys, Im checked out rocksandracing.com they have complete rears all put together for 1600.... way out of my price range. Im just looking for the ring and pinion which I have only found one place so far and they want $800!! crazy! I have bought gears for other rear ends before, more like 300 range. Am I not looking hard enough, or is there only one or two suppliers?

06 GTO IBM 408 Stroker-Sold
06 Corvette, Supercharged 607whp, RPM trans and Diff, RPS twin disc, Z06 susp, Dewitts Rad, Custom Fuel system
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 04:49 PM

I have to say, I've had no troubles with the LSD function in mine, though I don't make an effort to do power slides or donuts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
thanks for the help guys, Im checked out rocksandracing.com they have complete rears all put together for 1600.... way out of my price range. Im just looking for the ring and pinion which I have only found one place so far and they want $800!! crazy! I have bought gears for other rear ends before, more like 300 range. Am I not looking hard enough, or is there only one or two suppliers?
Talk to Frank, me would probally sell you the rebuild parts if thats all you need. $1600 for an upgraded diff is so cheap compaired to the $4000 plus a dealer wants. Either way, its alot of money.

Our rear is a stand alone made by Dana. With the low production of our cars, there aren't too many choices out there I would assume.

04 GTO - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in