2 Goats swapping transmissions, expert help needed - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 Goats swapping transmissions, expert help needed

First let me say I'm looking for answers or a direction where to ask to get the answers. I'm not looking for your opinion on the idea or suggestion about buying one with the right drivetrain. And sorry if you've seen this thread on all the gto websites. We're hoping to find the person that knows the answers.

The person that is getting my M6 is doing all the work for free. It's a straight one for the other. He has a shop at his house with every tool and even a lift. He's no noob at working on cars just not familiar with the whole computer system on the car . His is an '05 with a built Level VI 4L65E and he's getting my M6 with a monster 3 from my '06. Here's the questions we need answers to.

1. Does he have to swap PCMs? Or can they be tuned respectively for their new applications?

His car (the A4) already has an aftermarket TCM from Lingenfelter.

2. Do the TCMs also have the VINs "programmed" into them?

3. If so, is he going to have to have that re-programmed as well when he installs it into my car?

He also understands he's going to have to deal with re-programming the DICs....which are also VIN-matched, as he understands it.

4. Would it just be simpler to swap every computer component from each car...PCM, BCM, TCM, DIC, etc???

I appreciate any help I can get related to getting this accomplished.

Last edited by danieloneil01; 03-30-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 PM

Oh hai, I see what you did thar.

(lol...I forgot I was registered here)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I don't think anyone here has done what you are attempting to do to know the answers to your questions. Looking forward to knowing what you run into on the swapping though. Please keep us up to date and post some pics too.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mechanic58 is going to have a thread but at the "other" forum. Do you think a transmission place that specializes (meaning does alot of work on the GTO) in the GTO will have the answers for free or even a fee if it comes to that?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Well, maybe cause he just realized he was registered here he could post the info here too.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I wouldn't see why not. If he doesn't I can post it here too. Some other people are wanting to know also about what all is needed and involved to make this a 100% complete install (for both swaps) with every feature working like it came that way from down under.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 AM

yea i'd like to know how this pans out cause im looking for someone to do an a4 to m6 swap. selling the car isnt an option for me so im interested in how this works out.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Before

After

Swapped PCM, TCM, DIC, PIM and BCM. Hopefully Mechanic lists everything but I thought I'd give an update. I go and pick it on Monday and Tuesday get it completely retuned for the auto. The tune on it now is for TT's and 60# injectors. I have just cam, headers, vararam, 255 pump, 72# injectors. I will be monitoring my wideband and was told by SNL that I should be ok if it stays between 12-16 cruising at highways speeds. And yes I'm not that dumb to try a WOT even just once. My dyno for the manual was 419/393 at the same shop in Feb. Hopefully the auto with a 3200 stall doesn't eat up that much.

Is asking for 400rwhp out of the question?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Mechanic got this done pretty quick considering he was working 7 12's. And only my car is complete M6 to A4. And it doesn't hurt when you have a garage the size of football field with a lift.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 09:42 AM

I bet your guage cluster doesn't show the A4 gears on it.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in