2006 GTO Rear Axle Replaced - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2006 GTO Rear Axle Replaced

Purchase my 06 in Jan. Ran fine for 2 days. Then going 40mph starts making a really bad noise in the left rear. Sounds like something is coming thru the floor board in the back. I take it to the dealer & they say the rear axle is broken. How can that be??? They say it will take 4 days to get the parts & DANA wants the whole rear end sent to them because they have never had this problem. OK. I call GM & they say there is nothing they can do but will contact the dealer. GM calls back 1hr later says we will offer you 6 years 100,000 mile warranty for the rear end. Nope not doing that I want a different car. She then ask me. " The dealer had 2 Brand New o5's on the lot & would like to know if they can put those parts in my car. No way in Hell!
Dealer calls me 3 hrs later. "Car is done" How can that be 06 parts on back order. Did you put 05 parts in my car? "well yes" I went off on the dealer. They took them out & put 06 parts in 3 days later. I call GM nothing doing. GM says you can write to the President of Pontiac in Chicago. I said great and called the dealer to see if they knew this person. He says YES & would I like the phone number. Well long story short I get a hold of a gentleman named ROB @ Pontiac. He does some research & they tell him they only put parts on the rear and did not replace the axle's. I said thats funny my work order says they put new axle's in the car. He gets pissed & reams the dealer. Calls me back & offers me a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty on the WHOLE car with no deductible. I took it!

Anyone else have this problem???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:52 PM

nice job
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:14 PM

Wheeeew!, I'm glad I shelled out the extra $30 a month for the 6 year warranty. This rear end situation seems to be a big problem. Which is strange, DANA is known for durable pieces.

1500 miles on mine, no problems yet (knock on wood)

2005 GTO
PBM, RI, A4 with 18" wheels
One of 68

78 Trans Am
46,000 miles, BBC 402
4 speed
Custom automotive photography services available.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOTOGOAT
Wheeeew!, I'm glad I shelled out the extra $30 a month for the 6 year warranty. This rear end situation seems to be a big problem. Which is strange, DANA is known for durable pieces.

1500 miles on mine, no problems yet (knock on wood)
I just put in 3.91s in my '05. I have approximately 4k miles on the car. The mechanic said the existing gears "had problems that would have became apparent later, if I wouldn't have swapped them". I think he was saying that mostly due to the really bad wear on some of the parts. He also said that Pontiac won't let the service centers touch the internals the of rearend.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

If anyone is in the Midwest & needs contact info I have the email address for the gentleman that gave me the 6 year 100,000 mile warrenty for FREE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in