2006 Strut Leak - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2006 Strut Leak

I thought I would start new thread in this forum for anyone with updates on this snafu. Please take the time to submit a formal complaint if this affects you. Thanks.

File report here http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

THIS SITE ROCKS.....IN A SAMMY HAGAR SORT OF WAY......PEACE OUT......GPR1200R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Anyone who has had this repaired under warranty, post up. My dealer/parts mgr. told me 5-7 days due to an availabilty problem with the P/N 92158550 strut. According to the parts dept. there are only 10 available nationwide and he has a request in for 1 of them. It would be really good of GM to let me supply a better quality replacement strut and still treat it as a warranty claim but as a former Honda service mgr. I suspect this will not happen due to liability concerns. Will keep you guys posted.

post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 11:22 PM

Dealer is replacing one front strut first thing in the morning. Took a week to get the part. Filed complaint with the NHTSA about the strut failure. I believe the car was delivered to me with a failed strut, since I noticed small amounts of fluid on the garage after just one day home from the dealership. I will also give my service department a printout of the strut compalints (which number around 30 so far) and I will tell them to inspect other suspension components for any problems.

2006 IBM/Blue, m6, 18's.

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

My dealer is replacing both struts although I can only detect a leak in one side. Also I for got to mention that when I arrived at the dealer with TSB # 050308009 in hand the service advisor looked at it and first said whats this. Not sure he knew what a TSB was. He then asked me if I believed everything I read on the internet and went on to say that anyone can post anything they want. I then pointed out to him that this was from the NHTSA.DOT.GOV website. He didn't have much to say after that. Go figure.

post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 05:52 AM

Well, add me to the list. Noticed a dime-size spot of oil on the garage floor yesterday as I was sweeping it out. I felt around the bottom of the strut, and sure enough, its leaking, mine is the driver's side front strut. 298 EASY miles on the car. Build date 02/06. I was hoping I would avoid this gremlin.

Now a couple important (and perhaps stupid) questions:
Obviously a leaking strut is a bad thing, but do I need to park the car until I can get it replaced? Is this a critical safety issue where I shouldn't be driving the car?

When I get the strut replaced, do I need to get the front end realigned or get anything else checked out, or is this just a bolt-in repair (like replacing a shock) with no change to the front end alignment or geometry?

KB
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegbelly
Well, add me to the list. Noticed a dime-size spot of oil on the garage floor yesterday as I was sweeping it out. I felt around the bottom of the strut, and sure enough, its leaking, mine is the driver's side front strut. 298 EASY miles on the car. Build date 02/06. I was hoping I would avoid this gremlin.

Now a couple important (and perhaps stupid) questions:
Obviously a leaking strut is a bad thing, but do I need to park the car until I can get it replaced? Is this a critical safety issue where I shouldn't be driving the car?

When I get the strut replaced, do I need to get the front end realigned or get anything else checked out, or is this just a bolt-in repair (like replacing a shock) with no change to the front end alignment or geometry?

KB
The front end will need to be aligned and should be a standard practice for your service dept. Also don't forget to have them check the stock radius rod bushings for wear. One question you should ask is were the clevis bolts replaced . Why, they are also single use bolts and should be replaced at every alignment. Strut bearings may also need to be replaced so ask to check them as well.

Gpr1200r

post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 05:51 AM

Gpr1200r, thanks for the info. Have an appointment Friday morning, we'll see what happens.

KB
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 05:23 PM

John Hine Pontiac

Well, I went to the dealer (John Hine Pontiac) to get my struts checked out and they will replace only the leaky strut(driverside). I have an appointment to go in on friday. I was not very impressed with the service advisor but I guess that as long as they fix my car thats all that matters.

'06 Torrid Red, M6, 18" Wheels
'88 Mercedes 190E
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Attachment 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpr1200r
My dealer is replacing both struts although I can only detect a leak in one side. Also I for got to mention that when I arrived at the dealer with TSB # 050308009 in hand the service advisor looked at it and first said whats this. Not sure he knew what a TSB was. He then asked me if I believed everything I read on the internet and went on to say that anyone can post anything they want. I then pointed out to him that this was from the NHTSA.DOT.GOV website. He didn't have much to say after that. Go figure.
Ok......just came back from the dealer after my warranty strut replacement. Was told that there was no need for an alignment as they drove it and it was ok. Seems to drive ok but was dissapointed that they did not even bother to clean all the strut oil from inside the wheel wells and the underside of car. The doc attached is what GM is giving the dealer to save him from doing the alignment.

Ok this an additional info posted on 7/15/2006. I was trying to figure out why I still had the same out of balance problem after my dealer warranty replacement of struts. At that time I told the service advisor about the out of balance condition. The RO shows a force balance but in reviewing my before and after pics it looks like they did not do sh**. WTF??? The car pic was taken about a week before the car went back for the warranty work and balance. The wheel pic was taken yesterday. Front left wheel is in question. Looks the same huh??? Oh yeah almost forgot...they put a nice scratch inside the right rear wheel about 1 in from the inside. I verified that they did in fact do a rear wheel balance but not front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STRUTDOC.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	448   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO1.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	451   Click image for larger version

Name:	AFTER BALANCE.JPG
Views:	799
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	452   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearWheel.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	453  

Last edited by Gpr1200r; 07-15-2006 at 04:36 PM.
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Back to the top.........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in