Alignment Question (Guru's Here) - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alignment Question (Guru's Here)

My question is: Does replacing the front struts require a four wheel alignment, and if so do dealership service techs have an ASE or other special certification requirement for proper use of GM's sub-frame/cradle alignment tool ??? I have fairly good knowledge of alignment principles but no hands on with the cradle alignment tool. Any input would be of great help.

Thanks...Gpr1200r

THIS SITE ROCKS.....IN A SAMMY HAGAR SORT OF WAY......PEACE OUT......GPR1200R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:28 PM

Got mine back from the dealer yesterday. They replaced one strut and did an alinement .
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider
Got mine back from the dealer yesterday. They replaced one strut and did an alinement .
Do you have proof of the alignment.??? Or maybe they told you this and billed GM as they did with me for an alignment. I am seeing a GM habitual scammer (I.E. falsification of repairs) developing here. WTF???

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 09:57 PM

Screw GM's alignment specs...it's lawyer-influenced to maximize oversteer and keep you out of trouble.

Get a full aftermarket strut / swaybar / bushing suite and take your alignment way out of spec...the car comes alive.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
Screw GM's alignment specs...it's lawyer-influenced to maximize oversteer and keep you out of trouble.

Get a full aftermarket strut / swaybar / bushing suite and take your alignment way out of spec...the car comes alive.
It's actually UNDERSTEER that's dialed into all cars. Oversteer is the condition where the rear end wants to head into the turn before the front. Understeer is when the front wants to go straight. It's much easier to control understeer than oversteer. Even the tail happy Porsche 911s are dialed in with understeer, too many drivers would fall off the road tail first. But throttle induced oversteer can help you rotate around a turn quickly once you get the hang of it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV GTO
It's actually UNDERSTEER that's dialed into all cars. .
Dammit...that's what I meant to type. Thanks. Proofreading 4tw.

Fingers flew faster than my brain.

For what it's worth I have nine degrees of caster and at one point had 2-1/4 degrees of negative camber dailed in. The car handled great- the "push" of understeer was all but gone and the car felt nearly as sharp as my old 323i...and, as you say, she throttle-steers like a dream.

Unfortunately, I drive close to 1000 miles / week in my commute, and this played hell with my tires. I've since dailed it back to 0 deg of camber....but want to compromise and put it back to -1 deg...I miss it, tire wear or no tire wear.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 09:38 AM

2 and a quarter degrees of negative would be beautiful!!! i'd hate to check the tires after a few miles though.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjracing
2 and a quarter degrees of negative would be beautiful!!! i'd hate to check the tires after a few miles though.
It really is great...it gives the car a steering-input approaching the immediacy of my old 323i.

If I didn't pile 50k miles / year on my car, I'd do it anyway.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpr1200r
My question is: Does replacing the front struts require a four wheel alignment, and if so do dealership service techs have an ASE or other special certification requirement for proper use of GM's sub-frame/cradle alignment tool ??? I have fairly good knowledge of alignment principles but no hands on with the cradle alignment tool. Any input would be of great help.

Thanks...Gpr1200r
I am an alignment tech. Anytime a steering or suspension part is replaced, a 4 wheel alignment needs to be done. I wouldn't recommend taking it to the dealer for an alignment though. You should take it to a tire dealer that offers a long unlimited mileage warranty that doesn't void the alignment warranty if you or anyone else replaces parts on the car. You shouldn't have to adjust the cradle unless it has been severely wrecked. Front camber and toe are already adjustable and there are after market strut rods that allow caster adjustment. I would recommend keeping the caster high with -0.5 degrees cross caster to compensate for the crown in the road. If you have them bring the front camber up to +0.0 degrees, you will not have any inner tire wear or strut rub issues. The alignment should be rechecked at least every 12k miles. This is where the long warranty comes in, because it is free to re-align it. I work at National Tire & Battery and we offer 1,3&5 year alignments 100, 130 & 180 respectively. They are one time transferable if you decide to get rid of your car. This means the remainder of the warranty is transferred to your new vehicle. The warranty cannot be voided either. There is also $20 off coupons at NTB.com.

Last edited by QSGTO; 07-23-2006 at 02:00 AM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks QSGTO. I am looking for a local shop to do the four wheel and take your advice and get the extended policy. It's funny my dealer said they did not have to do an alignment based on the attached doc provided at pick up time after warranty strut replacement. It was pointless to argue for the need of an alignment and they went on to tell me that the suspension needed at least 500 miles on it to settle in before they would do an alignment anyway. Not really trusting them at this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GTODOC.jpg (840.3 KB, 176 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in