User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
auto tranny?

Hi,
I'm currently looking to get a GTO, preferably manual but there are a lot of autos out there - so I am wondering how you guys feel about the auto tranny?

Does it allow yout o control gear changes yourself, or will it always shift when it wants to? Any annoying issues? Which is more likely to last a long time, clutch+manual or auto tranny?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radu_rd2 View Post
Hi,
I'm currently looking to get a GTO, preferably manual but there are a lot of autos out there - so I am wondering how you guys feel about the auto tranny?

Does it allow yout o control gear changes yourself, or will it always shift when it wants to? Any annoying issues? Which is more likely to last a long time, clutch+manual or auto tranny?

Thanks!
Kinda funny cause I wanted an Auto and all I could find was 6 spds! Found my Auto though! As for shifting, night and day difference and controlling an auto's shifting is in your foot. If you wanna shift, get a 6 spd.

Good luck!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 12:18 AM

well, as far as gear selection goes, you cant control it unless u use the "3,2 and 1" gear selections. i do that on occasion but other than that ur foot is wat decides the gear. the shifing is normal under "normal" driving conditions. if u put ur foot down it you will feel the shifts, it spins the wheels shifting from 1st to 2nd, so it can be firm when ur in the mood to drive!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radu_rd2 View Post
Does it allow yout o control gear changes yourself, or will it always shift when it wants to?
You can control the gear changes but its not a DSC type transmission. The auto tranny is best left in D for the best performance.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 AM

Auto for the track for consistant times, M6 is better for the street as it has more control and better rolling accel.

MPG is a huge difference between the 2 also!

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Another question. What i hate a lot about my current car is that the gears are too short, cruising at 60-65mph you are at 3000rpm in the last gear..

Obviously with the M6 you would be cruising at pretty low rpms in 6th, but how about the auto tranny? What kind of rpms are you at when cruising at 60-70mph?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 05:38 PM

I believe between 1800 - 2200 rpm. If I drive easy I can go from 0-65 get on the highway and cruise at 65 and never go over 2000 rpm.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 08:55 PM

I can tell you I wish I had bought the 6 speed, but the auto blowing the tires off on the 1-2 shift is amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdCrazyE View Post
I believe between 1800 - 2200 rpm. If I drive easy I can go from 0-65 get on the highway and cruise at 65 and never go over 2000 rpm.

That sounds about right. It's still good for about 23mpg on the highway too.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 03:17 AM

I have a a4 6.0 and it is great to drive. I would have bought a M6 but the wife said, I had to by a car she can drive to. I think that the M6 is faster from a roll and the a4 is better from a dig.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 10:39 PM

autos are great,just have a shift kit installed,even if you buy a reprogrammer for the computer side of things.aftermarket convertors will help also,but not a necessity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in