B&M Shifter feedback - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
B&M Shifter feedback

My question has probably been asked a million times and I have found some answers but not enough feedback to pull the trigger.

Before I bought the GTO I was keeping my options open and I admit (go ahead and beat me up) I test drove a few Mustangs. I hated the regular GT's but I test drove both an '01 and an '08. I have to admit I liked both of them and one of the things I liked the most was the way the shifter felt. especially on the '08.

Which brings me to my question or inquiry. I'm trying to replicate that shifter feel on the GTO. The stock shifter is, I would dare to say, the only thing I truly dislike about the car. I don't mind the long throws so much, but I sure hate the disconnected feeling it has. The shifter on my wife's VW Jetta, which was cable operated, felt more precise and mechanical than the one on the Goat. I don't spend weekends at the dragstrip, but plan to do so ocasionally so I won't be beating up on the shifter all the time, but rather just enjoying the drives in my beloved Goat. Is the B&M good enough for the application I just described? What about the Hurst? Even though I think the Hurst looks to be a "better" version of the stock shifter design. The GMM seems cool bu the price is a little steep. Please provide some feedback or point me in the right direction. Thanks!!! Sorry about the lengthy post.

2006 SRM M6 1 of 501

Mods: Diablosport Predator tune; JBA Ceramic Coated "shorty" headers; AEM Brute Force Air Intake.

"No Mission Too Difficult, No Sacrifice too Great-DUTY FIRST"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:41 PM

Hurt doesn't look good installed. Doesn't hold the stock boot or shift knob. I think the BMM ones does.

I'm sure there are minor differences but I would go BMM just for the factory look even if it costs a few bucks more.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 03:36 PM

I have a B&M in my 04 and I have had no problems with it at all. Its a stiffer and shorter throw. Good for city drive as well as the track.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 03:38 PM

The B&M has had problems with the attaching bolts, but I have kept mine on my 04 since early 2005 when I bought it. I installed a GMM on a friends car and it was a good product, but I have heard about vibrations with the GMM.

I suggest you are going to have trade-offs, but according to most upgrading was a must do mod for an M6 GTO. Just shop wisely and do your research, see which works for you.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 05:16 PM

Somewhat related question to the OP - I drove my first GTO today and the shifter felt like it was stuck in goo or oatmeal. Hardly would spring back to center. Felt like stirring a pot of cold molasses. Is this normal or was there something wrong with the car? It was an '06 with only 45K on it.

Thanks!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
I would spend the long dollar on the GMM. There are people with the B&M that haven't had problems. There are probably also some people still driving their Yugos. If you're concerned about vibration (I have had none with my "race" version) then get the GMM "street" version. It's cheaper to buy better once than buying twice.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:27 PM

for the b&m did u have to push really hard to get into reverse???and also in neutral between 1st and reverse is there alot of play??

GTO<SRT-4
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 PM

I love my Billet short throw the best! A lil pricey but well worth the cash. GMM is also a good one so is the mgw-p(?) from a vendor on the other site. Everyone has their own preference, so whatever shifter feels great to you then go with it. Try to find cars with these shifter's in them and get a feel of them, then decide. I did and bought the billet.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quik ls2 View Post
Try to find cars with these shifter's in them and get a feel of them, then decide. I did and bought the billet.
Exactly what i did. Same results too.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 08:18 PM

the b&m one is preaty decent i wont know untill april when it come out of storage but i moved it around in the garage and its def wayy better than stock!!

GTO<SRT-4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in