Brakes? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brakes?

I was wondering if there was any specific brake pads anyone recommends? I think its time for a brake job. I can hear a ching ching ching noise at slow speeds. I have heard it in the past but its getting louder. I dont know about the rotors. I dont plan on changing them. They dont look bad but I dont know about warpage the car has 34000 miles on it.

05 GTO A4- Svede otrcai, Fast 102, Livernois stg 2 ported heads, Texas Speed 224R cam, Pacesetter LT's, Edge 3000 stall, Kooks afterburners, Pedders 0 drp rear springs and shocks, MT et streets, 418rwhp/391rwtq, [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM

EBC's are good brakes. They have Green, Red, and Yellow pads. I'm using EBC Yellows front and rear they are an agressive race brake pad.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 AM

Make sure you grab the Vette pads. They're cheaper, usually in stock, and most importantly have more surface area.

<-- Guess which ones quicker?.....Nope! Not even close.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4life View Post
EBC's are good brakes. They have Green, Red, and Yellow pads. I'm using EBC Yellows front and rear they are an agressive race brake pad.
I've had green ones years ago. But they were off in about 2 month...

@RJ_05GTO
You should measure the rotors. The minimal thickness is stamped in on the outside of the rotors inner circle. (anyway in Germany it's on there)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gtoin216 View Post
Make sure you grab the Vette pads. They're cheaper, usually in stock, and most importantly have more surface area.
So the 'vette calipers are the same as the GTO?

05 GTO A4- Svede otrcai, Fast 102, Livernois stg 2 ported heads, Texas Speed 224R cam, Pacesetter LT's, Edge 3000 stall, Kooks afterburners, Pedders 0 drp rear springs and shocks, MT et streets, 418rwhp/391rwtq, [email protected]
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_05GTO View Post
So the 'vette calipers are the same as the GTO?
yeah the c5 vette pads fit the GTO's, not sure if its from the regular vette or the c5z tho?? anyone chime in on this?

05' A4 PBM Stock 18s
Go: K&N CIA, Formato Manifold, Kooks SS catted mids, Spintech Catback w/ H-pipe
Haddad Motorsports Tuned-373hp 380tq.
Show: CV8-R Tails, Tinted Bumper Markers, Debadged Trunk
Handling:Megan Racing 32 way adjustable coil overs
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:20 PM

Don't worry about vette pads, not much of an improvement. Aftermarket pads is the way to go, they will be larger and have better material. When I ordered the EBC it also fit Corvette too, the rear calipers are GTO specific.

EBC, Hawk, and others to choose from.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:55 PM

Agreed all the high performance pads have a bigger material area they where able to see how much contact was lost on the oem design. I like hawk both my cars now have EBC and I have no problems but the Hawk pad uses a much denser material which I like on a performance pad. If you hold a hawk and EBC next to each other the Hawk tends to wieght at least a pound more a piece.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 08:22 AM

When my brakes warped I got DBA 4000XS rotors and Hawk HPS pads(C5 in the fronts). One of my rear pads cracked and bit into my rotor, so I replaced the rears with DBAs again and EBC. A few months later, a Hawk front cracked and trashed a rotor, replaced rotors and pads with DBA and EBC.

I'm using EBC red pads and like them more the Hawk, preforamnce and quality. DBA rotors I would also buy again. EBC also has less brake dust.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
When my brakes warped I got DBA 4000XS rotors and Hawk HPS pads(C5 in the fronts). One of my rear pads cracked and bit into my rotor, so I replaced the rears with DBAs again and EBC. A few months later, a Hawk front cracked and trashed a rotor, replaced rotors and pads with DBA and EBC.

I'm using EBC red pads and like them more the Hawk, preforamnce and quality. DBA rotors I would also buy again. EBC also has less brake dust.
Amen.

I used nothing but EBC in the past decade on all of my past and current cars.

My friends that tried Hawk will say that although they grab great, they do chew up the rotors pretty bad.

This is highly unusual as until now Race Pads have been built with no regard to disc wear, noise, harshness, bite from cold and certainly never tested and passed brake safety tests for Highway use such as Europe’s ECE R 90 Brake safety test.(see note at bottom about street use in Europe)

The biggest advantage of the new EBC Bluestuff pads is their bite from cold and progressive feel. This is achieved by blending with specially chosen man made naturally mined fibers which are much less harsh on rotors than semi metallic fiber used by ALL OTHER Race pad builders.
Deep V grooves help venting and catch dirt, dust and debris. Notice the open granular surface texture after the heat scorch (pre-bedding) process.

The GTO in Australia is known of course as the Holden Commodore and this very quick version shown above run by Emotional Engineering in the British GT series ran EBC Bluestuff throughout the long 1 hour races in its season. It also performed excellently in the FIA GT World series in France.
For several years EBC Brakes has been developing its full race pads for cars called Bluestuff and after a few final modification in 2009 is preparing to release this material known as Formula NDX in fall/autumn 2009 for the 2010 season.

The NDX Formula is a harder and longer lasting pad than its stablemate the Yellowstuff compound and has been very succesfully run on heavier cars including the Holden(Vauxhall) Monaro which weighs in at over 3600 lbs ( almost 1.7 tons) and as such is a much better test of the typical "3000 pound" USA race cars.

Whilst EBC Brakes Yellowstuff has worked out very well in Europe on Trackday and short even closed circuit racing its high friction characteristics cause it to wear quite quickly on heavier cars and longer races, making the Blue NDX grade the ideal upgrade.

EBC Bluestuff USA ......First test weekend with Race Driver George Penn (who's purported to be an EBC employee) in a 4000 lb stock GTO at VIR in USA. George ran 3 x 45 minute sessions on the E 366 compound EBC Blue before finally toasting the pads. The EBC formulation was then upgraded to enhance life and is being retested shortly. The stock PBR caliper only allows a 14.0 mm pad which is not enough for a car of this speed and weight and encourages us to caution drivers to monitor wear every 120 minutes of trackday driving on the GTO.

"Wow, the way the Blues performed this weekend were well beyond my expectations. I had to completely relearn brake zones because I could push so much deeper. The performance and durability of the 2081s was leaps ahead of both the old formula and the HT-10s I cooked in the prior weekend. I can't consider my brakes a weakness anymore and I should be on the podium every single event. The Blues even have me thinking I should keep the beautiful 14" Stoptechs BBK in the garage so I don't get bumped up a race class."

My Youtube Channel
Supercharged (Roots) 6.0 GTO
Supercharged (Twin Screw) 3.0 NSX
Supercharged (Centrifugal) 4.3 S-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in