Breaks Lock up, Any ideas - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Breaks Lock up, Any ideas

1967 Any reason why my brakes will lock up, just took it out after sitting for 10 years ?? Thanks
keiko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:46 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
drum or disk? there are several reason why they are locked up. parking brake cable is stuck, therefor engaging the parking brake, it is possible your brake pads have rusted to your rotors. your wheel bearings could be seized. youre going to have to remove all 4 wheels and beat your drums off, or if its a disk, take the whole rotor assembly off and see exactly what is going on.
gmjunkie is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:48 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Posts: 3,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiko View Post
1967 Any reason why my brakes will lock up, just took it out after sitting for 10 years ?? Thanks
If it has been sitting for 10 years, I would go through the brakes. DOT3 brake fluid will absorb moisture just from sitting. Rubber hoses can dry rot & crack. Brake shoes can deteriorate. "Things" get stuck from sitting - gummed up or rust.
PontiacJim is offline  
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 PM
 
BLK69JUDGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
rusty drums or rotors can cause extra friction ....
you dont mention if its front or rear or all four or 1 corner

drums rear disc front ? 4 piston front originals ?

leaking rear wheel cylinders ... after sitting 10 years

its master cylinder and rear wheel cylinder rebuild time

have you ever had the brakes done ?

how does the pedal feel real touchy ??

power or manual brakes ??

is the brake fluid low ??

lot n lots of options

time for tires tooooooooooooo no 10 year old tires on my muscle cars .... nooooooo way

unless Im stayin under 35 mph ..... . yah right !!!!!!!!
BLK69JUDGE is online now  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
If it has been sitting for 10 years, I would go through the brakes. DOT3 brake fluid will absorb moisture just from sitting. Rubber hoses can dry rot & crack. Brake shoes can deteriorate. "Things" get stuck from sitting - gummed up or rust.
OK thanks, I pulled the drums last night which was a hell of a job, needed a puller to do it and a sledge! it was quite a mess. Took everything off to replace new. Just hope I can remember how to put it back together.
keiko is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
OK thanks, I pulled the drums last night which was a hell of a job, needed a puller to do it and a sledge! it was quite a mess. Took everything off to replace new. Just hope I can remember how to put it back together.
keiko is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thanks for all that posted, forgot to say it was the rear drums, YOU HAVE NO IDEA what it took to get them off. The only thing left is the wheel cylinder which I have sprayed with fluid hoping I can get the bolts off and line disconnected. having said that would anyone know of some good pictures on how to put it back together. I know I am going to struggle with this when the new parts come next week
Thanks
keiko is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:15 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiko View Post
Thanks for all that posted, forgot to say it was the rear drums, YOU HAVE NO IDEA what it took to get them off. The only thing left is the wheel cylinder which I have sprayed with fluid hoping I can get the bolts off and line disconnected. having said that would anyone know of some good pictures on how to put it back together. I know I am going to struggle with this when the new parts come next week
Thanks
are you just looking to put the new wheel cylinders in? or did you remove the shoes as well? there are many good videos on you tube which will show you how to put everything back together. Make sure your parking brake is working properly and if you are spraying wd-40 or pb blaster in the brakes REMEMBER TO CLEAN EVERYTHING WITH BRAKE CLEANER BEFORE RE ASSEMBLY... brakes dont work well covered in penetrating fluid

God, Country, Cars
gmjunkie is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
are you just looking to put the new wheel cylinders in? or did you remove the shoes as well? there are many good videos on you tube which will show you how to put everything back together. Make sure your parking brake is working properly and if you are spraying wd-40 or pb blaster in the brakes REMEMBER TO CLEAN EVERYTHING WITH BRAKE CLEANER BEFORE RE ASSEMBLY... brakes dont work well covered in penetrating fluid


Nope I took everything off, going to start from scratch with new stuff. What should I type in to find the right u tube video ?

Thanks , Deano
keiko is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:42 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiko View Post
Nope I took everything off, going to start from scratch with new stuff. What should I type in to find the right u tube video ?

Thanks , Deano
I just typed in " Drum Brake Replacement" and a ton of videos come up, just look through them until you find one that is closest to yours. They should all be very similar and give you a good idea what to do

God, Country, Cars
gmjunkie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama's "Beast" breaks down in Jerusalem! ALKYGTO The Lounge 4 03-22-2013 09:15 AM
What To Do When Your Car Breaks Down; Advice From AAA AutoGuide.com In the News 0 08-18-2011 02:17 PM
rear diff, spoiler, springs, shocks, breaks exc. hurleymotoxer118 2004-2006 GTO Parts for Sale (Price & Pictures Required) 4 09-16-2008 04:21 PM
Big Oil Tax Breaks GTO JUDGE The Lounge 12 04-01-2008 08:05 PM
6speed transmission noise.. any ideas goatsandstrats 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion 3 10-24-2005 09:59 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome