Bushing swap, neccessary? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bushing swap, neccessary?

Hello guys, i have been thinking of a swap of the bushings back and forth for a while to energy súspensions.

Is it really neccessary? i will change my front and rear struts, springs, and busings aswell as the swaybars when spring arrives.

Would appreciate some thoughts about this. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 03:24 PM

hey ya i was in your boat but i went for it. I put the whole energy suspension kit on my 05 goat and that alone made a significant difference. the pics i have are pre bushings . then i went with koni rear shocks, there the best i have ever used, i had them on my trans am to. then i put the eibach springs and now everythings prefectly tot. bushings are defintely the best place to start otherwise the rubber will get worn out fast with stiffer spring and other suspension mods
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 PM

This will explain to you what you need to know:https://www.gtoforum.com/f39/definiti...oncerns-19058/

I'm going to be swapping my x-member bushings and adding a diff insert this weekend.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:49 AM
dms

I wrote the article that was referred to you. If you have any questions, just ask

mike
dms

Michael White
DMS Doing Mike's Stuff
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers guys

I will sure try to get the crossmember bushings then and the heavy duty endlinks which mike writes about.. I actually would have bought everything from Pedders if it wasn´t so damn complicated for us foreigners so i had to turn to australia. Mike however is a really helpful guy.

Bad goat, was it a pain in the a.. to mount the bushings and what about the installation instructions for the energy suspension bushings?
hmm you have almost convinced me about this one...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtenb View Post
I will sure try to get the crossmember bushings then and the heavy duty endlinks which mike writes about.. I actually would have bought everything from Pedders if it wasn´t so damn complicated for us foreigners so i had to turn to australia. Mike however is a really helpful guy.

Bad goat, was it a pain in the a.. to mount the bushings and what about the installation instructions for the energy suspension bushings?
hmm you have almost convinced me about this one...
I just finished my Energy Suspension x-member bushings and Lovells rear diff insert bushing. The x-member bushings took some work with a prybar and a large screwdriver to work them out. Also I had to use a ratching tie down strap to pull the passenger side x-member into position, so I can get the mount bolt in. The driverside bolt went right in. The funny thing is my friends GTO was the same exact way mine was. Rear diff insert was an easy install. Soap and warm water worked fine, to push the rear diff insert bushing in.

I have alittle more noise than I did with the rubber bushings, don't bother me none. The rear seems alittle more tighter and it feels like it wants to break loose. The radius rod bushings are next, mine are showing signs of stress cracks but no leaking yet. There is still a handfull of other bushings I want to do, but the main bushes I wanted to do first. I wish I had the pations to wait and do the rear control arm bushes to while I did the x-member bushes, ohh well those will come later.

Last edited by GM4life; 02-14-2010 at 09:37 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Great Advice

Allright Then i will be counting on some hard work with the x member bushing then. I think i will order them from Lovell as well. Great Write up about the installation process GM, Im having some hard times deciding if i should order the control arm bushings as well.. I really hate the work with bushings

GM, whats your set up suspension wise? have you changed your shocks and top bushings as well?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtenb View Post
Allright Then i will be counting on some hard work with the x member bushing then. I think i will order them from Lovell as well. Great Write up about the installation process GM, Im having some hard times deciding if i should order the control arm bushings as well.. I really hate the work with bushings

GM, whats your set up suspension wise? have you changed your shocks and top bushings as well?
The x-member bushings are pretty easy, it shouldn't take you long to do them at most an hour. Do one side at a time, you'll be fine. If your going to do the lower control arm bushings do them at the same time, from the looks of the service manual it looks like your going to do repettive steps if you do them later. I don't know whats involved in doing the control arm bushings if they are easy to remove or not. If your looking for some adjustablity in the rear I would go with the adjustable control arm bushing, thats what I'm going with.

Its a slow process for me to work on my suspension. The first thing I done was drag bags then later front and rear swaybar bushings thats it. I haven't got to the shocks/struts, springs, strut bushings and berings yet. I may do Lovells or King springs.

Last edited by GM4life; 02-14-2010 at 10:07 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
I've done all of the bushings on my car. IMHO the rear control arm bushings and especially the inner ones are an important upgrade. The inners have big voids in them making them flex quite a bit. Replcing them seemed to help my rear camber. As was said if you're going to do the outer rear control arm bushing you should do it at the same time as the x-member bushing as you need to drop a bit to get the bolt out of the outer one. At the time I did mine it was said that you needed a special big press tool to get them out. Being a DIYer and stubborn I made a tool out of a large cast iron pipe coupler and a threaded rod. . A large washer holds one end and a couple of smaller ones drive the bushing into the coupler which acts as a cup. You should cut off the shoulder on one side of the bushing so it can push thru easier. At first it won't budge but the application of some heat from a propane torch softened them and they popped out fairly easily. The new ones pop in with no effort at all. I carefully cleaned up the inner part where the bushing goes and painted them so they wouldn't rust before I reassembled.

Here's my cheesy but effective tool. You can see that the inner bush (on the left) has voids in it. It also has some sort of goo on a hard shell which is why it comes out so hard. The heating softened the goo and out it came.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:54 PM

Ok... This may seem like a really stupid question. Would a "Master Bushing Kit" like The one on this website: Discount Car Parts Stuff - Car Accessories & Truck Accessories - Cheap Auto Parts - Car Cover - Floor Mats - Cargo Liner - 2004 Pontiac GTO Master Bushing Kit Performance/Accessory Have all the Bushings to do the WHOLE Car. THANKS LOL!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in