Differential Whine - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Differential Whine

My O6 M6 has had a slight and I mean slight rear axle whine, most pronounced at 48-52mph. GM has a TSB out on this. Car just turned 3000 miles, and has the original oil in the pumpkin. Took it to the dealer at lunch Thursday, told them about the TSB. The service writer got in the car with me and we went for a ride. He heard the noise, pulled the TSB when we got back to the service dept. Apoligized like all get out for the trouble, and they have ordered a new unit for me just like that. From the sounds of the TSB, Dana wants to do an engineering analysis on the noisy units. No repairs or other remediation, just direct replacment and return.

This problem has likely been posted elsewhere, sorry if so and if true, perhaps the moderator would be a dear and move this post to the correct place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

So sorry, did find the thread, and it looks like a common and recurring issue. Hope not..........
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 10:15 AM

Get some 3.91s and see if the dealer will install them in the new unit before putting it into your car.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
The whine will end with a replacement, unless of course Dana shipped a bad one.... Nice to know your dealer didn't jerk you around... There are still some good ones out there.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 08-21-2006 at 08:17 PM.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:04 PM

i think i'm starting to hear it

please disregard the previous message
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge
The whine will end with a replacement, unless of course Dana shipped a bad one.... Nice to know your dealer didn't jerk you around... There are still some good ones out there.
My dealer has been great. No pushy pushy. Heres the car, what are you willing to pay. Made an offer that was finally accepted at the end of the monthy , then they threw in the 0% on top. Super deal. The service dept has been great on this one occasion. Car was delivered in pefect unmolested condition, with very little dealer prep at my request. Motor City GMC in Btown. Supposedly the largest dealer of its type in the Nation. They sell a LOT of trucks! GTO's are a little odd to them (service) at this point, but they still have several in stock. Nice guys over there.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 10:12 PM

Had mine replaced too. Don't be surprised if you still have a slight whine with the new unit. Mine was decreased but can still hear it 45-55 under light accelleration and decel. Replaced at 2800mi. have 8200mi now with no increase in noise. I changed oil after 500 miles and again at 1500 since install. I think it is a good idea to change the oil as these gears do generate some very fine metallic particles during breakin.

2005 GTO, M6, Quicksilver / Black
2003 GTP, Silver / Black, 3.4" Pulley
1994 Z-28, Red, M6, Hotcam, SLPs, Tune
1994 Z-28, Red, M6, stock
1994 Cadillac STS
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-22-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1055man
Had mine replaced too. Don't be surprised if you still have a slight whine with the new unit. Mine was decreased but can still hear it 45-55 under light accelleration and decel. Replaced at 2800mi. have 8200mi now with no increase in noise. I changed oil after 500 miles and again at 1500 since install. I think it is a good idea to change the oil as these gears do generate some very fine metallic particles during breakin.
I agree and will do so. Do you or anyone else find it to be a bit odd that the service schedule does not call out a diff fluid change? Every other vehicle I have ever owned with a clutch type LS dif calls out a service interval. Not so the GTO. Seems a little weird. Maybe I should change the oil and leave my old one installed! I really hate to have it changed by the dealer mechanics. WAY SCARY
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 12:39 AM

I have the whine at 48-52 as well, not very pronounced, but it is there, and in 5th gear. I have just changed the oil, and unless the diff grenades in hot oily pieces, the factory diff stays in the car.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 02:19 PM

Anyone know the cost to replace the rear end unit? With all the mods I have in place I doubt they're going to be receptive to warranty coverage.......I might be wrong though, dealer has been pretty good but ownership just changed recently and you never know when new owners step in.

JET

2005 - Silver - A4
Maggie
Dynatech LT Headers
Magnaflow
Volant
Pedders Street II
AP Brake System
Memphis Speakers, Amp, (2) 10" Subs
Kenwood Flip Screen w/nav, dvd, etc.
19" Beyern 5 rims
JHP Gauge Pod
Tuning by RevExtreme - Sarasota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in