EBC Brake Pad Install - Update - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
EBC Brake Pad Install - Update

Finally got my front pads installed (Green Pad) about ten days ago. Rear pads were on backorder so they were installed yesterday. Anyway, about a week after the fronts were installed I started to get a steering wheel "shimmy" when hard brakes were applied. Shop told me that upon inspection the left rotor had warped and needed more turning to true it up. They suggested I contact Active Brakes to let them know that there might be a heat build-up problem with their pads and the stock GTO rotors ('05). Called them and was told there was "no way" that could happen. Had to be defective stock rotor or shop error when they first turned the rotors to install the new EBC Green pads. Told them bull****, this shop is the best in central Florida and I would take their word any day over a mfg. supplier. Kid then told me if I wanted to switch out the stock rotors he would get me a good price. I dunno, anyone else have an opinion on this? Seems to me that if it were a pad problem via heat build, etc. that both fronts would have warped the stock rotors...........btw, this car is never driven hard.

JET

2005 - Silver - A4
Maggie
Dynatech LT Headers
Magnaflow
Volant
Pedders Street II
AP Brake System
Memphis Speakers, Amp, (2) 10" Subs
Kenwood Flip Screen w/nav, dvd, etc.
19" Beyern 5 rims
JHP Gauge Pod
Tuning by RevExtreme - Sarasota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.E.T.
Finally got my front pads installed (Green Pad) about ten days ago. Rear pads were on backorder so they were installed yesterday. Anyway, about a week after the fronts were installed I started to get a steering wheel "shimmy" when hard brakes were applied. Shop told me that upon inspection the left rotor had warped and needed more turning to true it up. They suggested I contact Active Brakes to let them know that there might be a heat build-up problem with their pads and the stock GTO rotors ('05). Called them and was told there was "no way" that could happen. Had to be defective stock rotor or shop error when they first turned the rotors to install the new EBC Green pads. Told them bull****, this shop is the best in central Florida and I would take their word any day over a mfg. supplier. Kid then told me if I wanted to switch out the stock rotors he would get me a good price. I dunno, anyone else have an opinion on this? Seems to me that if it were a pad problem via heat build, etc. that both fronts would have warped the stock rotors...........btw, this car is never driven hard.

JET
I hope he measured your rotors after he finished them. With newer cars it's the case, more often than not, that the rotors will be below discard/minimum thickness, after machining them. Plus you have to factor in what shape the rotors will be in throughout the expected service life of the newly installed pads. I can usually turn truck rotors, once, but not so with most cars. You may have even warped the rotor if you got it too hot during the break-in, w/o allowing them to cool down properly. Even old bits, or turning the rotors too fast will leave the rotors with a final finish that's not very smooth...a good source for too much friction/too much heat build-up.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBoss2
I hope he measured your rotors after he finished them. With newer cars it's the case, more often than not, that the rotors will be below discard/minimum thickness, after machining them. Plus you have to factor in what shape the rotors will be in throughout the expected service life of the newly installed pads. I can usually turn truck rotors, once, but not so with most cars. You may have even warped the rotor if you got it too hot during the break-in, w/o allowing them to cool down properly. Even old bits, or turning the rotors too fast will leave the rotors with a final finish that's not very smooth...a good source for too much friction/too much heat build-up.
You bet, these rotors only had 4K miles on them so he just had to do a light turn to insure they were true. Believe me, I barely touched the new brakes until there was almost 200-300 miles on them, well beyond the recommended 100 mile break-in period. We'll see how they work now.........

JET

2005 - Silver - A4
Maggie
Dynatech LT Headers
Magnaflow
Volant
Pedders Street II
AP Brake System
19" Beyern 5 rims
JHP Gauge Pod

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.E.T.
You bet, these rotors only had 4K miles on them so he just had to do a light turn to insure they were true. Believe me, I barely touched the new brakes until there was almost 200-300 miles on them, well beyond the recommended 100 mile break-in period. We'll see how they work now.........

JET

If the tech had the right finish on your rotors, then that should eliminate him or the stock rotors as the source of the problem...but I still hope he measured it. One or two quick passes and one final pass on newish rotors should be within the limits; should be. Most of the times rotors can't even be turned, at all. Just normal pad wear [car's very first brake job] is usually more wear on the rotor than it can stand...it's already to the point that it can't safely be refinished.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBoss2
If the tech had the right finish on your rotors, then that should eliminate him or the stock rotors as the source of the problem...but I still hope he measured it. One or two quick passes and one final pass on newish rotors should be within the limits; should be. Most of the times rotors can't even be turned, at all. Just normal pad wear [car's very first brake job] is usually more wear on the rotor than it can stand...it's already to the point that it can't safely be refinished.

Picked it up today and everything is fine.........

JET

2005 - Silver - A4
Maggie
Dynatech LT Headers
Magnaflow
Volant
Pedders Street II
AP Brake System
19" Beyern 5 rims
JHP Gauge Pod
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 01:13 AM

IMHO, someone overtorqued the lugnuts.

I've had it happen many times on our full size GM's after tire rotation. If the wheels are impacted on too tightly you will get an iritating vibration when hard braking. The rotors will definitely require a light trim, after you figure out why anyone would put lugnuts on tighter than spec.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmcall

I've had it happen many times on our full size GM's after tire rotation. If the wheels are impacted on too tightly you will get an iritating vibration when hard braking. The rotors will definitely require a light trim, after you figure out why anyone would put lugnuts on tighter than spec.
Good point. I always use a torque wrench or torque sticks. A person that doesn't torque to specs is just lazy and/or thoughtless, imo.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmcall

What is the correct torque specs for the lug nuts?
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAkz05GTO
What is the correct torque specs for the lug nuts?
100 ft lbs
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Guys, this shop is not a bunch of kids. They're total pro's, believe me. This is the shop that all the dealers come to when they can't get alignment, tire balance or brakes figured out due to vibrations, etc. Been in business over 60 years. I totally trust these guys........

JET

2005 - Silver - A4
Maggie
Dynatech LT Headers
Magnaflow
Volant
Pedders Street II
AP Brake System
19" Beyern 5 rims
JHP Gauge Pod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in