a few quick questions - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a few quick questions

1) how the hell do I get the damn console top/shift boot out of my 05 M6 car? I was going to yank it apart to have my machinist make a short stick for the shifter.

2) if I succeed with the above- is anyone else interested in a short stick? Not nearly the same as a true short throw shifter, but much shorter throws than stock. I have been modding cars for years and one of the first things I always do that is cheap and easy is cut down and re-weld the stock shifter if I think the throws are too long. I figure I'd just get one made up for this, should be fairly inexpensive.

3) I have asked before, but didn't get a straight answer- what the hell center secion is in the rear of this car? Are gear sets readily available or are the 3.91's my only option? Also, how well does the rear/axles hold up to drag launches and such with slicks?

Thanks in advance.
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 08:13 PM
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ

1 screw up in front of shifter in the "coin tray" or whatever you call it, then open the armrest and there is a notch where you can lightly pry open the console cover, remove harness plug and pull off cover out from under the front section of console, then boot lifts right off.

2005 IBM M6
Weld Prostars
Flowmaster Super 40's
Chris White Guage Changes
HPE Cam Package(S-Cam, AR LT's,Lingenfelter CAI,UD Pulley, X-Pipe, Ported Factory Intake)
BMR Drag Bags
440/396
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, that is what I was missing. I popped the back up and got it all but where it was hung up on the front end. I wasn't sure if I had to pop out the deck and trim up front or not, so I figured I'd ask. I knew it would be something easy that I missed. Thanks again.
Joe

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 08:23 PM
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ

No prob! Had mine out a few times with my B&M troubles!

2005 IBM M6
Weld Prostars
Flowmaster Super 40's
Chris White Guage Changes
HPE Cam Package(S-Cam, AR LT's,Lingenfelter CAI,UD Pulley, X-Pipe, Ported Factory Intake)
BMR Drag Bags
440/396
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Ahh, that sucks.. That's another reason I like to do just the stick and not the whole shifter- you get the OEM shifter assembly (for better or worse), don't have to worry about leaks, broken springs, etc. I have gone low 10's on a stock shifter with just a short stick in an F body .
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in