Gear oil question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gear oil question

I'm going to change the differential fluid in my '04. I've done a lot of reading on this, and I've learned that if I don't use the GM part or Royal Purple, I have to add friction modifier to the oil.

I have not been able to find Royal Purple or the GM stuff in any of the stores or dealerships around here. I have purchased Mobile 1 full synthetic 80W140 gear oil, but I don't know what the friction modifier is called, how much to use, and how to use it.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Garage
They come in bottles of like 4-7 ounces. I've never been in a parts store that doesn't carry them. Even the Dodge dealership in my town carries it and it's all the same stuff. You can use a whole bottle. You can get it from summit. I believe they carry REDLINE.
K&W makes one, ATP makes one. Is their an O'reillys in your town?

Many synthetic gear lubes have the limited slip additive built in so I would read the label on the Mobil1 that you purchased and see what it says.

Here the GM part number:
GM Performance 1052358 Limited Slip Lubricant Additive 4oz

Last edited by mikes06goat; 07-10-2010 at 10:51 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 08:05 PM

I used RP in my trans and diff. No complaints after 20k miles after the chainge.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 12:42 AM

The original specs for the GTO was:
75w-140 synthetic for the gear oil and 1oz for friction modifier

Royal Purple is a hit and miss, I had problems with it and others have too. Torco Type F seems to work best and thats what I use along with their limited slip additive. I used the whole bottle of limited slip additive without problems.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 AM

Pontica GTOGear Oil

75w140 Mobile 1 Sythetic with a small amount of friction additive was what I used.

20 dollars a bottle at Advance.

All others appeared to be non synthetic and just run of the mill oil with no aditivies or additional properties.

NAPA did carry a friction modifier, but they have to order it overnight.

Last edited by srs7324; 07-11-2010 at 07:49 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 07:47 AM

Gear Oil Additives

After reading up on a number of premium Synthetic Gear Oils, they all basically state that a Friction Modifier is not necessary and may cause harm if added.

NOTE: Synthetic Gear Lubes do not require the use of this additive.
However, not all differentials respond the same and if chatter is noticed, the addition of Friction Modifiers will eliminate it.
For chattering differentials not running Synthetic Gear Lube, this type of product is an excellent solution to the problem.

So it is my assumption that if you use run of the mill 75W140 gear oil, a Friction modifier is necessary, but if you purchase a Synthetic such as Mobile 1 or AMSOIL it is only needed on a case by case basis.

Just an FYI.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

To add or not to add... that is the question.

Here is what I found on the mobile 1 website:

"Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-140 LS contains special friction modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials. In most applications, the addition of special LS (limited slip) additives is not required. For axles requiring the highest level of limited-slip performance, OEM specific LS additives can be added to this fluid."

I am going to add about an ounce of friction modifier. I think I'll just go to the local dealer and order the GM performance limited slip additive. I would probably be safe without it, but I don't want to risk it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Wasn't tryting to highjack your thread,post was deleted.

Hope you get your answer,but on the other forum there is a GM parts sponsor that can get you the new GM fluid with friction modifier already in it.

Performance:230/232 .614 .602 114 cam,Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted mids,Spintech,CSP ported intake/tb,UDP,tune by CSP.

Suspension:Pedders big bore shocks,GSR II struts,Lovells RR bushings,Kings 0 drop rears/20mm drop fronts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:27 PM

The important thing is manufactures of gear oils do not build the rear ends, how would they know what the rear end needs or don't need. I think GM/Dana does more testing on the rear end than a gear oil manufacture. They know whats best for it. You run a diff without sometype of LSD additive if you want to and see how much noise its going to make. Our rear ends are a cone type not a clutch type. Thats the reason why people use a type F friction modifier than the type G for GM rears with Torco.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 12:42 PM

i went with amsoil 75w 140 and there friction modifier its been a month. no problems

lingenfelter cai, vararam tb spacer, v/max ported tb, livernoise stage 2 heads with comp cam 232/232/.50 114 lsa. slp 1 3/4 headers high flow cats, x pipe, qtp cut outs, flowmaster mufflers. tuned by tt performance , highly recomended in n.j.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in