How much drop with 40mm os 17x8 ans 245/45-17 tires ? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much drop with 40mm os 17x8 ans 245/45-17 tires ?

Hey all !
I am usually a lurker here but I have not found the information that I am seeking today.
I have a 2004 and I am in the process of rebuilding the suspension. I have the front totaly removed and I have all of my bushings.I bought a set of Pedders 1inch drop springs for the front and have not decided on the rear yet.I was going to use the peders 1/2 inch drop in the rear but now I am wondering If my new rims will clear the fender lips front and rear with the Pedders 1in front and the 1/2 in rear with my 17x8 40mm os wheels and my BFG KDW 245/45-17 tires. I got the tires and drove threemilse home and realided that the drivers strut was rubbing si I tore the front down to Install a new suspension and then later got the wheels. I took all of my measurements with the stock rims. I want the 40mm to make sure that there is plenty of room at the strut.
My question is how much drop can I do with my wheel tire combo ?
Any body running this combo ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 12:57 AM

With an eight mm difference in offset you should be able to drop it as low as you want without rubbing with a stock size tire. Why didn't you get a wider wheel and tire combo?

<-- Guess which ones quicker?.....Nope! Not even close.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

I didn't go wider or bigger on the tires and wheels because at first I was just going to use my factory wheels. Everything was fine until I put the BFG tires on it and drove it home.I have used the BFG on my Mustangs and really like them so I decided to put a set on my GTO. Well I guess they are wider than the yokohoma tires that were on it in the same size. I got the parts to fix the strut rub and decided to lower it as well. I took some measurements and because I liked the low sagging look of the wore out factory stuff I decided to get a drop to closely mimic it. I didn't want it to sit like a factory Mustang with a huge space in the fender well.After measuring,I decided from where it was sitting on it's sagging suspension that I would like to raise the rear about 1/4 inch and drop the front about another 1/2 to 3/4 inch. This would give it a nice rake and keep it close to where it is sitting "factory". Well during all of the resaerch I decided to change the wheel offset for some more strut clearance but I had to use a factory size because I had the new tires so I ended up with what I have now.I was pretty sure that the front would work with the 1 inch drop but I was not sure if the tires would scrub the rear fender lip with the extra 8mm offset and the 1/2 inch drop springs.I have it on jack stands with the suspension tore out so I can't see where the wheels will sit in the fender well.
Thanks for the responce.I thought that I might have to go with a 1/2 drop in the front and a stock height in the rear but like I said I didn't want the big gap of space.

Thanks again...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone here have this wheel tire combo with a drop ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in