LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Installed drag bags today

For those who are anxious to know if they eliminated the wheel hop let me say, "Hell yeah they did!" Man what a BIG difference! I have never been able to spin the tires with so little effort. The wheel hop is totally gone. Maybe the drag bags combined with the Pedders rear drag springs is why. So I'm not sure how well they will work with the stock springs. But anyway. The install wasn't too bad. The hardest part of the job was getting the bags into the springs through the coils. Those Pedders are stiff as hell so that wasn't too easy to do. Once I compressed the bag enough and got the majority of it through the widest opened coil, I spray the coil and bag with some silicon spray and it slipped right in. The bags fit perfect in the Pedders. The kit comes with 2 valve stems and a tee which connects both line from the bags. Only one valve stem is needed because of the tee. Maybe the kit just have a extra one in it. The instructions say to drill the rear valance and mount the valve stem on it. I didn't do that. I just drilled a small hole through the trunk and mounted the valve stem there. It's totally out of sight and the kit comes with small rubber washers that will keep water from leaking into the trunk. So with my small portable air compressor, I can just air up the bags at the track, from inside the trunk, without anyone knowing. At 25 psi, the rear is jacked up pretty high. I lowered the pressure to 15 psi and hit the streets. 15 psi seems to be perfect. Like I said, the tires spun with ease with no wheel hop at all. Plus the ride isn't compromised by the bags being at 15 psi. The instructions recommend 0 - 20 psi for normal street driving and 25 psi for drag racing. At 25 psi you can definitely put wider wheels and tires on with no rubbing issues. Below are some pics I took after the install. Like an idiot I didn't think of taking the pics while the rear was up on jacks. Oh well, they still came out okay. Enjoy!

Click on the pics to enlarge

Shot from the rear

Shot taken thru the wheel

Valve stem with the cap off. Located in the trunk.

Cap on the valve stem

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI

Last edited by 6QTS11OZ; 09-09-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to raven1124
Very nice! Looks like I have another mod to add to my list.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 05:45 PM

sweet, I thought therer was a way to get them inbetwen the coils. a lot of other's were saying to take off the spring. good to here that they work. would love to just boil the tires when I want to. wasn't abel to get to speed inc. just yet(dam work) supose need to work o.t. to help pay for the h.p. . monday I'll be picking mine up and mabe tuesday install. good job. did you get maggie yet.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 06:17 PM

Wouldn't they be counter-productive to gaining traction at the track since they are going to keep the weight transfer from getting back the way it should.

Maybe my thinking is backwards.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC4STOP View Post
Wouldn't they be counter-productive to gaining traction at the track since they are going to keep the weight transfer from getting back the way it should.

Maybe my thinking is backwards.
Good point. But remember you can adjust the pressure from 0 pressure to as high as 25 psi MAX until you find the sweet spot. Then once you do, that's when you throw on a set of drag radials and really have some fun.

Also, I was dropping the hammer around 4000+ rpms. I would never drop it that high at the track. Normally I'm between 1500 to 2000 rpms. Plus I have a 6 speed which really take some practice for a good launch.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

Last edited by 6QTS11OZ; 09-09-2006 at 06:54 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
sweet, I thought therer was a way to get them inbetwen the coils. a lot of other's were saying to take off the spring. good to here that they work. would love to just boil the tires when I want to. wasn't abel to get to speed inc. just yet(dam work) supose need to work o.t. to help pay for the h.p. . monday I'll be picking mine up and mabe tuesday install. good job. did you get maggie yet.
I did take off the springs. It's just that the Pedders springs are shorter and a bit thicker in diameter than the stock ones. So compressing the bags enough to get them through the coils was a PITA. But well worth it ($99 shipped to my door).

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Haven't gotten the Maggie yet. It should be shipped next week. My JBA mid pipes with high flow cats is scheduled to be delivered on Sept 15th. Hopefully the supercharger will get here around the same time. I hope I can have all mods installed and ready for the dyno tune by Sept. 23th.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ View Post
I did take off the springs. It's just that the Pedders springs are shorter and a bit thicker in diameter than the stock ones. So compressing the bags enough to get them through the coils was a PITA. But well worth it ($99 shipped to my door).
one more mod up for you . and if I do have to take the springs off then I mite as well change the springs over while I'm there. next week the managing director of pedders will be at this shop next to me, met the guy at anougther get together awhile back. have to pick them up then. do you have the 5/16 raise or the 1 1/2 raise? was looking to get 5/16 raise myself.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
one more mod up for you . and if I do have to take the springs off then I mite as well change the springs over while I'm there. next week the managing director of pedders will be at this shop next to me, met the guy at anougther get together awhile back. have to pick them up then. do you have the 5/16 raise or the 1 1/2 raise? was looking to get 5/16 raise myself.
These are the ones I have.

http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica...ings_Rear_Pair

The ride height wasn't affected.

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6QTS11OZ View Post
These are the ones I have.

http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica...ings_Rear_Pair

The ride height wasn't affected.
didn't know that they had a drag spring that with 0 raise, that one would be more to my likeing. thanx. looking to get the ripshifter while I'm at speed Inc. see you have one too. did you swap out the clutch yet and if so with what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in