Interesting M6 Transmission Problem - 05 GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting M6 Transmission Problem - 05 GTO

This is my first post so hello from central TX. I did a little searching to see if anyone had similar issues, but couldn't find anything so I thought I would post to see if anyone had any insight into this problem.

Over the weekend, I was out driving my goat pretty hard at high speed when I noticed it getting harder to put into 3rd gear. It didn't grind, just felt locked out - but a few tries and it worked. Then, when turning around to re-run a long stretch of country road, I couldn't get the shifter into reverse. It felt like when the "preventer" solenoid locked it out to avoid damage when moving forward. It has not gone into reverse since and I tried everything I could think of (shutting vehicle off, cycling gears, etc...). I took it to the dealer yesterday and the latest notice I got was that they had to pull the tranny and are in the process of taking it apart to see what the problem is. To me, that rules out something simple and external like solenoid or linkage issues, and I'm not very familiar with the way transmissions work internally. Anyone else had similar problems or have anything I should pass along to the dealer to speed up the process? I have a business trip next week and I sure as hell don't wan't to do it in the stinky Grand Prix they gave me as a loaner.

I appreciate the help & I look forward to getting involved more in what looks to be a great online community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 09:24 PM

Welcome! Sorry I can't really offer too much advice. I know as little as you do about trannys. I had the same thing, but with 2nd this weekend, lasted one short trip and has been fine since, now I feel lucky that I didn't have a more complete meltdown. (Thought it could be from the CAGS eliminator malfunctioning, but since its working again it must be something else.)

2004 QuickSilver GTO
M6
Stock
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 09:28 PM

I had the same thing happen in my 99z28 m6. It was my shift rods broke. It happens from slamming it into gear like when your racing how your banging gears. I dont know if that will be your problem or not but its what mine was.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 09:40 PM

Mine does the same locking for reverse, but typically when the engine is cooler. Usually a quick cycle through at least the forward shifts will clear the problem.

Although reverse first thing in the morning has always been a problem, first gear in traffic has become an issue lately. It gets VERY annoying when the damn thing just won't clear and go forward.

The third gear barrier? Gotta hit it hard is all I can say. I found it most difficult when first getting used to the car, but I am at the point now where if I take 2nd gear beyond 4,000 I'm prepared to slam third.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:34 PM

My Tremec T56 Bowflex behaves the same way although it's not as bad.
There is just no way to hit 3rd quickly on a downshift.
Slow and deliberate is the only way it will go into 3rd.
Forcing it takes so much effort I worry about snapping something.
I just attribute the behavior to sloooow snychros.

As for reverse, like most manual gearboxes it will balk at reverse once in a while.
I just double clutch and work it through 3rd, or 4th and then into reverse.
This seems to works about 99% of the time.
Just pretend you're driving a Kenworth haulin hogs.

Last edited by Wing_Nut; 01-03-2006 at 11:41 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Well the dealer verified it wouldn't go into reverse and now has the tranny out of the car and are taking it apart. This definitely wasn't just a lockout, I tried all kinds of crap similar to what you mentioned above to no avail. I wasn't hammering the transmission very hard when it happened - I was going fast, but I wasn't dropping the clutch or anything.

BTW, I never had any of the gear lockout issues mentioned above in the ~4500 miles I have driven the car.

I'll post what the dealer finds when I hear back.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:01 AM

Sorry about your bad luck but welcome to the forums. I also have trouble downshifting into 3rd, you really have to force it but not near as bad as the trouble you are having. Hope they get you fixed up. By the way, I am also form central Texas. Waco to be exact.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 11:13 AM

We had a car that had the exact same problem which turned out to be synchronizers. GM replaced the guys entire transmission for him. Not sure if they find the same thing on yours, but hopefully they will do their job well.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 11:27 AM

I have problems shifting into reverse mostly in the mornings. I had probelms down shifting into 3rd when I first bought the car but now after 4800 miles I have the feel for the car and it seems to be a lot easier. Hopefully you well get your goat back soon!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

No news from the dealer yet. I may call tomorrow and pass along your synchro experience, dealernut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in