Knocking sound from back end - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Knocking sound from back end

Ok so I just bought a 2006 GTO, 6 spd manual, car has 77k miles on it. A couple days ago I was leaving work and driving through town I noticed a fairly loud knocking sound coming from the back end. If I stayed in the gas just enough to keep the car rolling smoothly, it would go away, but as soon as I let out of it, or started to pull a little, it would come back. It's a constant knock, not just a single clunk like you usually hear. The sound was similar to a broken connecting rod in an engine, just slower.

So being a mechanic, I headed back to where I work so I could get the car on a lift and see if I could find out what was going on. Got it lifted up, spun the rear wheels a couple times and I heard the sound twice and then it went away, so I couldn't really get a definite pin point on it. I checked everything out back there just to be sure, couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Diff felt nice and tight, axles felt fine, all suspension felt good. I haven't pulled the cover off the diff, don't really want to if I don't have to.

I have driven the car a good 150 miles since and haven't heard the noise again. It's just worrying me and I don't have the time to really dig into it. Not to mention I haven't ever heard anything like it.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 02:33 AM

How did your guibos and carrier bearing look?

06/QSM/A4
SoCal Goat Club
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

As far as I could tell they looked fine. This was a fairly slow knocking sound, no vibration that I could feel, honestly I wondered if an axle had somehow broken and was banging around. That's what it sounded like.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaderGT View Post
As far as I could tell they looked fine. This was a fairly slow knocking sound, no vibration that I could feel, honestly I wondered if an axle had somehow broken and was banging around. That's what it sounded like.
You sure you don't possibly have a loose exhaust back there tapping the body somewhere? Or something along those lines? Strange that it happened when you spun the wheels tho.. Hubs, bearings?? There's a lot of possibilities.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2004 yellow jacket M6: AEM intake, SLP LM2, 05/06 front brakes with DBA slotted rotors & hawk pads, B&M shifter, MSD wires, NGK TR55 plugs, Diablo predator tuned..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a similar issue when I stopped and pulled off had a clunking noise, sound like somthin rolling around n trunk, it was the driveshaft slaming on the caring bearing the rubber seal done got damaged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in