Lousy stock brakes - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lousy stock brakes

I have a question concerning the brakes, on my 04 GTO. The question is has anyone had problems with brake squeal,on there cars. My GTO has 6,300 miles on it. I had all 4 roters resurfaced, wich only temporaly stopped the noise. I now have the noise back as loud as ever.I am not sure if new pads will stop the noise. My dealer has not been too much help. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to ftlfirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to ftlfirefighter
I upgraded my brakes the first week with AP's kit which is the same as the HSV GTO optional. They're 14.25 front with 6 piston calipers and 13" rears with 4 piston calipers. Expensive yes, worth it... OH YEA! There are a number of cheaper kits out, Wilwood, Baer and Stoptech all have avail.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:35 PM

I have a 1998 GTP with a similar problem.

I changed to ceramic Raybestos silent pads and haven't heard a peep.

I'm not sure if these are harder on the rotors (a distinct possibility), but they're absolutely silent.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlfirefighter
I upgraded my brakes the first week with AP's kit which is the same as the HSV GTO optional. They're 14.25 front with 6 piston calipers and 13" rears with 4 piston calipers. Expensive yes, worth it... OH YEA! There are a number of cheaper kits out, Wilwood, Baer and Stoptech all have avail.
What $$$ are you talking about ?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 07:03 PM

The '04's brakes do, indeed, suck.

I put PowerSlots all around, with Hawk Pads up front. It still doesn't stop as deciseivly as I would like, but the car does slow and stop with way more linearity and confidence than stock. I cooked a rotor or two at around 15k miles, so I decided to upgrade.

Not as great a solution as bigger rotors and more calipers, obviously, but it only cost ~$450 or so.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 07:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to ftlfirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to ftlfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_GTO
What $$$ are you talking about ?
For the front and rear kits from Brake Pros www.brake-pros.com was $5300 shipped from west to east coast.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 08:35 PM

Cough... Ahemm.. I better get that Valentine1 first to obtain speeds that justify this kind of expenditure...

What size wheel do the AP calipers require ?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 09:39 PM

I run 19's but 18's fit they said. Harrop has a kit with 15" fronts and 8 pot calipers!

The Stoptech kit with 13's is $1995, with 14's is $2595. Here's the Wilwood and Baer kits at TByrne.com http://www.ls1gtoperformance.com/gtointro.html
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:36 AM

brake squeal is usually caused by vibration in the pads against the calipers. anti-squeal inserts or adhesive you apply to the bakc of the pads and let cure should minimze and or eliminate the squeal. If you don't have C5 Corvette brake pads installed, I would also suggest doing that to improve braking - they have the same backing as the GTOs but close to twice the surface area. Then bleed and flush the brake system with Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid. GTOs are notorious for having air bubbles trapped in the brake lines. Took me two bleeds/flushes to get them out.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

I tryed the anti squeal spray, it did not work. I did order ceramic pads for both front and rear. I hope they will help. I will keep everyone posted when I put them on. Thanks everbody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in