M6 problem's - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
M6 problem's

Ok, Yesterday I go to back out of my driveway and the shifter starts grinding and kicks out of gear. I stop push clutch in and place it in reverse, ease off clutch, start backing and it does it again. Sounds horrible. It is under warranty, so I will take to the dealer first thing Monday. Just wondering if this is an isolated thing or if it is a problem with the gto ??? Oh, and second is difficult to shift to unless I'm at about 3g rpm's....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:56 AM

You weren't all the way in gear. Sometimes when the transmission's cold in the morning, it'll stop and feel "somewhat" like it's in gear when it's really not. When you let out the clutch and it go time, the stick'll kick back out.

What I do now is when I get "the feel" that it's not quite there, I keep forward pressure (lightly) on the stick and when you let the clutch out about an inch or two, it'll pop the rest of the way no problem. Finicky or what?

Now, I don't know for sure about your problem with second, but I had one similar. I found I was using too much left angle when I was shifting into second. Again, it's a technique thing. Although natural reaction when you're on the left-hand side of the shift pattern is to hold all the way left, this will cause the shifter to hang on the gate to second. Pull straight back from first and I hit it right every time.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 02:24 PM

That's the T56 for you, same thing in the WS6. It'll feel like it's in gear and give it some gas and *pop* it's back in neutral. There's nothing wrong, it's just a heavy duty tranny and takes some force, you'll get use to it.

As for second, I don't know what to say, maybe it's skip shift, or maybe you're trying to hard, just move it straight back it should go right in, don't force it left.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon 32
Ok, Yesterday I go to back out of my driveway and the shifter starts grinding and kicks out of gear. I stop push clutch in and place it in reverse, ease off clutch, start backing and it does it again. Sounds horrible. It is under warranty, so I will take to the dealer first thing Monday. Just wondering if this is an isolated thing or if it is a problem with the gto ??? Oh, and second is difficult to shift to unless I'm at about 3g rpm's....
This is what mine started doing the first time the tranny took a sh*t.... take it to the dealer!!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

M6 problem update. Well it doesn't sound good. I took it to the Dealer first thing this morning. The Dealer called me about an hour after I dropped it off. They advised that they were going to have to take the tranny apart to locate the problem and that they had me a loaner ready.... I'll keep everyone informed as to what the problem turns out to be, so that if anyone has similar problem they can get it took care of...
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

M6 problem update. Well it doesn't sound good. I took it to the Dealer first thing this morning. The Dealer called me about an hour after I dropped it off. They advised that they were going to have to take the tranny apart to locate the problem and that they had me a loaner ready.... I'll keep everyone informed as to what the problem turns out to be, so that if anyone has similar problem they can get it took care of...
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:34 PM

Keep us updated!!!

Anyone had problems in the morning getting into gears? Sometimes 2nd is tough and today it would grind into 3rd or be very hard to get into third even w/ the clutch all the way down.

Car is an 06 w/ 1300 miles
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 05:56 PM

this morning i could hardly get the tranny in 1st. one time at a light i had to leave in 2nd because by the time i got frustrated with it, the guy in front of me was already threw the intersection and i was still sitting there. and 2nd and 3rd is hard when it is cold out. will changing to royal purple help when it is cold out

06 Black on Black M6
APS Twin Turbos
APS Twin Fuel Pumps
Patriot Performance 72cc Stage II Heads
GMM Rip Shifter
SLP Underdrive Pulley
160 Stat
Dashhawk
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Textraila Twin Disk
4300k HIDs
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 12:51 PM

Sometimes the T56 is a little tough to get into first. Just put it into any other gear -- as it will go -- bump the clutch a little -- and you'll be fine to go into first.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon 32
I just dropped mine at the dealer for the same problem. I have 7K miles on my 06 and it has done it ever since I bought it new. I'll keep you updated.

Last edited by QSGTO; 02-08-2006 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in