need help taking brakes off - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
need help taking brakes off

I have an 04 gto trying to replace a wheel lug how do I get to the back to change it out I already took the brakes off and tried hitting the back of the rotor with a 2lbs hammer while I rotated it and I got nothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

nevermind I got it just needed to do it harder lol
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Bfh.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 PM

You need one of these. All break rotors will bow down to your absolute power.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:53 AM

First time I took mine off it was a PITA. Lots of PB blaster and then ended up getting a big ass rubber mallet from Home Depot. Once I finally got them off. I used a wire brush to clean up al lthe rust on the hub, back of wheel, and rotor. Hit it with some brake cleaner to wipe it all down and used anti-seize. Now they pop off so easy. Just be sure to grease the back of the pads or you may squeal.

FYI, my DBA rotors actually have threaded spots on the rotor hat to help pop it off. It works really good. I don't know the size or threading of it off hand though.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Dan View Post
You need one of these. All break rotors will bow down to your absolute power.

I've never used a three jaw puller for rotors. Just a B F H (not a rubber hammer). And I never hit the braking surface with the hammer unless the rotor is clearly junk. Instead I wail on the hub section between the lug nut. That will usually 'pop' it right off. It takes a steady hand though to swing a large hammer and not hit the wheel studs!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
I've never used a three jaw puller for rotors. Just a B F H (not a rubber hammer). And I never hit the braking surface with the hammer unless the rotor is clearly junk. Instead I wail on the hub section between the lug nut. That will usually 'pop' it right off. It takes a steady hand though to swing a large hammer and not hit the wheel studs!
I think I have a slightly warped rotor from hitting the crap out of it. I have a break squeek that won't go away and only happens when the wheel hits the same position. I'm assuming a high spot on the rotor. I didn't know you could hit the hub without messing up the wheel bearing and all.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Former Super Moderator

I've owned a repair shop for 19+ years and never seen a wheel bearing go bad from removing a rotor. Some stubbern ones I've even used heat and an air hammer on.
On your squeek, look for that ridge of rust that sometimes forms at the outside and inside edge of the braking surface. Sometimes just knocking that off or worse case senero have then remachined can make the noise go away.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:25 PM

I'm sure the puller will warp the crap out of them, but usually (in my situation) if a rotor is coming off, it's just plain being replaced, not refaced.

I also use a little 1-2" cutoff piece of 1/8" steel plate as a solid, even surface for the puller point if one is not available.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
First time I took mine off it was a PITA. Lots of PB blaster and then ended up getting a big ass rubber mallet from Home Depot. Once I finally got them off. I used a wire brush to clean up al lthe rust on the hub, back of wheel, and rotor. Hit it with some brake cleaner to wipe it all down and used anti-seize. Now they pop off so easy. Just be sure to grease the back of the pads or you may squeal.

Same exact thing I did except I soaked it in WD-40 and my Craftsmans rubber mallet and everything else you said. Great minds think alike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in