Oil pan cover removal-reduces rigidity? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oil pan cover removal-reduces rigidity?

from what i can see, that cover simply protects the pan, but some people on here are sure that it helps strengthen the over front-end rigidity as well. i highly doubt that, but how can we find out for sure? would SLP or someone else know for certian? if it isn't needed structurely, it's gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjracing
from what i can see, that cover simply protects the pan, but some people on here are sure that it helps strengthen the over front-end rigidity as well. i highly doubt that, but how can we find out for sure? would SLP or someone else know for certian? if it isn't needed structurely, it's gone!
I'd think twice about taking it off. Is it worth the worry of hoping you don't hit anything? The weight reduction (unless your racing it,) is not worth the chance of extensive damage.... But hey, it's your car.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

i hear you buddy. but what trips me out is, no other car has a cover over the pan?!! i never drove around worrying about hitting things with my previous cars?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 03:42 PM

It does nothing for Structural Integrity.

I personally wouldn't run the GTO without one, But I did replaced mine with the Holden Light weight Plate
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjracing
i hear you buddy. but what trips me out is, no other car has a cover over the pan?!! i never drove around worrying about hitting things with my previous cars?
I am thinking that the cover is there to protect the aluminum oil pan because perhaps an all steel oil pan for the car would outweigh the current cover, I don't know. I do know that in the overall scheme of the design of this car, it was designed better than damn near any other car out there. Judging by all the posts on this entire board, negatives included, we all (more or less) agree the overall integrity of this car compared to others in this price / performance range is hard to beat.

Many on here do have issues but compared to other cars out there, this car is as solid as it comes......... I do hate there is no rain gutters on the roof line, and I understand why..... I hate the water running in on me. Even the slightest rain, I have to have the windows up... Wait...... this ain't the thread for this topic

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

talked to a guy at SLP today that said that the pan cover has zero part of the front end structural integrity and it seems very true once i got under there and actually looked at it. it's simply an overkill piece of hardware.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 03:20 AM

I am still going to keep it. Better to be safe than sorry.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 11:11 PM

Good idea. I have dented oil pans on lowered cars and if your highways are like Miami there is plently of debris to worry about.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 11:48 PM

Just a little tip for the ones that donít know. You can remove the bolts and loosen the one on the left rear (facing the car) and it will easily swing out of the way for oil changes then it just swings back in place. Much easier then trying to hold it up and get a bolt started...

"Sheila" 1/322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in