Power Glide shifting question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power Glide shifting question

I have a power glide, or at least that is what I believe. It has 14 bolt pan, vacume modulator on right hand side, and electronic kick down on left side (looking at it from the rear toward engine). I have read some of the other posts here and notice these things can be interesting to ID. It also has 2 gears. The electronic kick down is not attached. Doesn't look like it ever was, because the wire is more up by the coil and wouldn't reach that far down I don't think. The gas peddle has a 3 wire kick down on it. The connector on the engine wire harness is a reciever for a single blade and it's a round ( about half inch dia. just like the tranny blade reciever).

So what's my question? Why will it not stay in 2nd gear. It shifts well into 1st, and once I let off the gas it shifts into 2nd without any problem when going 15 - 25mph, but as soon as there is any minimal rev other than coasting, it wants to shift back to 1st, even at higher rpms and very little pressure. In fact once I get to about 40 mph, it won't stay in 2nd at all, presumably because the engine is reving to high, until I totally let off the gas. Then once I apply anything more than idle it instantly wants to down shift again.

I disconnected the vacume line thinking maybe it was somehow getting too much vacume, but that only made it worse.

I may need a rebild but I thought I'd see if there were any tricks out there. Other than this it opperates very smoothly, no grinding or vibrating or funny noises.Thanks for the read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 05:43 PM

I'm unsure if I can be any help to you with this. And I don't know how Pontiac did it. But I used to have a 66 Chevelle with a powerglide transmission. the kickdown for it was mechanical, and it was attached to the throttle arm on the carb. Are you sure your kickdown is electronic? What year is your car that you're talking about?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

It is a 1967 Lemans. I came orignial with a 326 so that makes me even more sure it came with the power glide. (now it has a 70 pontiac 350). There is currently no kick down cable or electric hooked up to it, only the vacuum. I could try extending the electric kick down wire so that it reached the spade on the transmission but that doesn't seem to logical.

I had one of these in high school. I remember taking the power glide out and putting a TH 400 in it and the electric kick down and vacuum was all it had. Any suggestions are welcome.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The tranny should be a Super Turbine 300, I would suggest a rebuild and replace the vacuum modulator. Then connect the kick down wire, adjust the kick down switch and check for vacuum leaks.

Randy

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

I looked it up and that is exactly what it is. Thank you so much!!

Would you care to venture a guess as to whether the kick down for this transmission would work on a TH400?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in