Question about rear end - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question about rear end

My manual 06 has what I would call a rotational grawl sound coming from the rear of car. Seems to me to be more on the left side but not sure. Also this sound is definetly more noticeable when cold in the mornings and seems to vibrate a little until I drive five or so miles. I forgot to mention that this sound happens when car is under load.
My question is do I have the same sound that everyone else is having from the rear end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Well, no help here I guess. I know my question is kinda stupid but nobody has clearly descibed the sound in detail the rear dif. makes when it is bad other than stating it makes a "whine" sound. What exactly is a whine sound? A whine sound is what my kids and wife make when they want something from me.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.MO.GTO View Post
Well, no help here I guess. I know my question is kinda stupid but nobody has clearly descibed the sound in detail the rear dif. makes when it is bad other than stating it makes a "whine" sound. What exactly is a whine sound? A whine sound is what my kids and wife make when they want something from me.

What you are describing is not the infamous rear end whine. The whine is a high pitched sound similar to road noise like when you are on asphalt that has groves in the roadway but not as loud. It generally happens about 45-60 mph when the gas pedal is depressed. When you leave off the gas pedal the sound stops.

What you are describing is something different. Perhaps there is an oil issue going on in the gear box.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge View Post
What you are describing is not the infamous rear end whine. The whine is a high pitched sound similar to road noise like when you are on asphalt that has groves in the roadway but not as loud. It generally happens about 45-60 mph when the gas pedal is depressed. When you leave off the gas pedal the sound stops.

What you are describing is something different. Perhaps there is an oil issue going on in the gear box.
Actually now that you describe the like that I think that is exactly what I got.
The sound you are descibing is more like a grawl sound like I say rather than a whine sound as many call it. THanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Oh well I will just keep goin till it gets so bad that somthing breaks just like im doin with the motor that ticks. The dealer already put all new lifters in it at 800 miles witch did nothing to shut the up. Now at 2700 miles it getting quite loud and people ask if theres somthing wrong with it. So guess they are just grasping for straws and dont know what thecause of the tick is so Ill just keep goin till it ticks itself apart and then they will surely figure it out then.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.MO.GTO View Post
Oh well I will just keep goin till it gets so bad that somthing breaks just like im doin with the motor that ticks. The dealer already put all new lifters in it at 800 miles witch did nothing to shut the up. Now at 2700 miles it getting quite loud and people ask if theres somthing wrong with it. So guess they are just grasping for straws and dont know what thecause of the tick is so Ill just keep goin till it ticks itself apart and then they will surely figure it out then.
I personally would not wait until the problem gets more severe. Another problem could result as a result of the current problem. If you don't trust your service dept, take it to another GM service center. YA don't want to get caught up in the one thing led to another thing scenario.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 03:51 AM

have you changed the differential oil? if you have I have heard some oils can make it sound like grinding rocks . just thought i'd ask.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 08:53 PM

My rear end was making a whining sound from 30 MPH on up. Was pretty consistent when I gassed it or let up. Dealer changed rear end and is fine now.

Last edited by Old Goat/New Goat; 11-24-2006 at 09:04 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO judge View Post
I personally would not wait until the problem gets more severe. Another problem could result as a result of the current problem. If you don't trust your service dept, take it to another GM service center. YA don't want to get caught up in the one thing led to another thing scenario.

And you sure don't want something to break or lock up just as you pull out in front of oncoming traffic or when hanging that tight curve on a wet road. Get it checked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in