rear clunking/clacking noise on 05 A4......... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rear clunking/clacking noise on 05 A4.........

I have a 05 yellow A4 gto with 47,000 miles on it from the first owner. Got a this past saturday me and wife looking to trade in my trailblazer for a muistang gt or cobra for myself, stopped at a chevy dealer and saw this and loved it.

It runs great all kinds of torque and power man. Anyways I hear like a clunking/clacking noise from the rear seems like from the middle rear I think. Seems like it happens often when your dealing with the different combination of let the gas pedal out and apllying it again and using the brakes and letting it go and pushing the gas down again.

Like if I was to slow down to a crawl or complete stop and then release the brake and give it gas sometimes it will make that clunking noise like something has play and loose.

Anyone have any info I need to know? Does changing the rear diff fluids help with clanking/clunking loose play symptons? Seems like that will help the common whine the diffs make on these cars right? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 AM

you stated in the other post that you have the warranty. Just take it into the dealer and have them solve it. It could be a million and one reasons why its doing that. The best bet is since it is free, to let the dealer diagnose it for you. Best of luck
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:02 AM

Make sure to post the results when you get it fixed too! GM certified is a great thing.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Clunking and growling has been reported in the rear ends. I was a victim of it. The viscosity of the oil breaks down in time. Is this happening to you? If so >>

Internal clunking or growling from the rear diff:
https://www.gtoforum.com/f3/growling-...ng-rear-14102/

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:14 AM

I have it, maybe? I get a click-clack when I change gears, and can hear the diff loading and unloading, but I guess I'm used to it since my old RWD Pontiacs did that too.

It needs some fluid front and back, for sure... it's at 42K and I haven't touched it since I bought it.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
Clunking and growling has been reported in the rear ends. I was a victim of it. The viscosity of the oil breaks down in time. Is this happening to you? If so >>

Internal clunking or growling from the rear diff:
https://www.gtoforum.com/f3/growling-...ng-rear-14102/
This is also for "PONCO DAN" so the more I drive it Im getting the feel of when its happening. When Im driving along in regular constant speed on streets or freeway I hear nothing wrong, even when going over rought bumps, pot holes whatever on the streets the car is going over them smooth and no clanking/loose play type noises.

This loose play clanking noise happens when you brake at low speeds basically and then if you let go of brakes and where to hit the gas then it do that issue.

Yea the gm certified is good but if its a basic diff oil change I like to do it myself since its not to expensive. I thought diffs issues will be only the whines, howles, but bad diffs or oils can really cause something that sounds like it has come loose with play which makes a clanking/clunking noise I dont get it. Thanks
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

I think this saturday I might want to lift the back in of the car and see if I can see a issue, does anyone know spots in the back of car to lift with regualr small floor jacks? All I have is regualr size small floor jacks couple of them, floor stands thats it. Thanks
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
SEE: GTO Lifting Locations.gif

(1) Suspension Contact Hoist Lifting Locations
(2) Preferred Frame Contact Lifting and Jacking Locations
(3) Spare Tire Service Jack Lifting Locations and Optional Vehicle Jacking Locations
(4) Optional Floor Jack Lifting Locations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Lifting Locations.gif
Views:	5617
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	8083  

2005 GTO Quick - 1984 Honda V65 Magna Quicker - 2004 Z06 Quickest
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctek View Post
This is also for "PONCO DAN" so the more I drive it Im getting the feel of when its happening. When Im driving along in regular constant speed on streets or freeway I hear nothing wrong, even when going over rought bumps, pot holes whatever on the streets the car is going over them smooth and no clanking/loose play type noises.

This loose play clanking noise happens when you brake at low speeds basically and then if you let go of brakes and where to hit the gas then it do that issue.

Yea the gm certified is good but if its a basic diff oil change I like to do it myself since its not to expensive. I thought diffs issues will be only the whines, howles, but bad diffs or oils can really cause something that sounds like it has come loose with play which makes a clanking/clunking noise I dont get it. Thanks
It isn't your fluids. Part of buying GM certified used is that they change all the fluids/filters before you buy the car.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
It isn't your fluids. Part of buying GM certified used is that they change all the fluids/filters before you buy the car.
Right I n otice the diff bolts where clean and looked recently removed. Like I said that clanking doesnt seem to be a diff oil issue like GTOJUDGE thinks it is.

SO I guess I'll investegate under the car. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in