Rear suspension issue - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear suspension issue

My 04 Goat has a wierd feel to it when making hard right turns (left turns are fine). Almost feels like the body is shifting and then it grips and rides on a rail. Anyone else ever have this problem? I just put new wheels and tires on. The tires are 1/2" wider and now the problem is more noticable. Suggestions? Also, what would cause the right rear to petrude from the side of the car slightly farther than the left? Sagging Spring? Bad shock? Subframe? So confused. As u can tell I am absolutely new to this. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Check your control arm bushings. The inners especially have had issues with an ear tearing off that holds the control arm. Also the rear shocks and springs on these cars are notoriously bad.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Any suggestions on replacement shocks and springs? Everything I have seen has been real expensive.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBERWITZ View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Any suggestions on replacement shocks and springs? Everything I have seen has been real expensive.
Personally I think King springs are the best,but I do have the more expensive Pedders big bore shocks.

Performance:230/232 .614 .602 114 cam,Kooks 1 3/4 headers/catted mids,Spintech,CSP ported intake/tb,UDP,tune by CSP.

Suspension:Pedders big bore shocks,GSR II struts,Lovells RR bushings,Kings 0 drop rears/20mm drop fronts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 10:32 PM
dms

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBERWITZ View Post
My 04 Goat has a wierd feel to it when making hard right turns (left turns are fine). Almost feels like the body is shifting and then it grips and rides on a rail. Anyone else ever have this problem? I just put new wheels and tires on. The tires are 1/2" wider and now the problem is more noticable. Suggestions? Also, what would cause the right rear to petrude from the side of the car slightly farther than the left? Sagging Spring? Bad shock? Subframe? So confused. As u can tell I am absolutely new to this. Thanks for your help.
The GTO is plagued with bushing, spring, and damper problems. A really thorough inspection needs to be performed on the suspension. You should go to the Pedders site and look in the dealer locator section and see if you are close to a Pedders dealer

If I can assist you, would be glad to help

thanks
mike
dms

Michael White
DMS Doing Mike's Stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in