rip shift rebuild - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rip shift rebuild

dropped my 06 off to the chevy dealer 2 weeks ago to have the clutch, cmc, and slave replaced. yesterday (saturday) they called me an told me it was ready to pick up. i got in the car and the rip shifter was all messed up. it was worse than the stock shifter.

when i confronted the tech he said there was a spring and a flat disc that popped out when he removed the shifter, but didnt know how or where to reinstall it. so he somehow thought it would better that i found it myself, or worse that i some how wouldnt notice.

now correct me if im wrong, but for some reason i seem to remember a spring that came with the shifter that was loose in the box. when i went to check the install directions, i couldnt find any part or any mention about having to install a spring, which leads me to doubt myself.

so my question is, does anyone know of where i can find a drawing or a schematic that i could give to them to rebuild my shifter??

second, do you think its something than can be rebuilt, or is this something thats like "nope, order me a new one"?

and last, is this something that the tech should have even been messing with? i know that the shifter has to be removed to fully drop the trans, but should he have been anywhere near where this spring and flat disc are located? i dont know since i didnt install it. but if its anything like my hurst was for my ranger, it all basically dropped into the location and put the bolts in and call it a day.

it also seemed to be louder for the little bit that i drove it. i know they didnt forget to reinstall the rubber boot i read about in the instructions, only because it wasnt installed when i had the shifter installed, its actually sitting inside the car. any additional thoughts??

2006 m6 phantom black GTO:
kooks long tube headers
kooks cat-less mids
bassani cat back
ripstick
lingenfelter intake
BMR drag Bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't remember any spring or washer. Simple drop in.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotTogO View Post
I don't remember any spring or washer. Simple drop in.
yea theres springs. appearently they are even supposeto be rebuilt. the kit is called the replacement spring set. but it doesnt show where they go

2006 m6 phantom black GTO:
kooks long tube headers
kooks cat-less mids
bassani cat back
ripstick
lingenfelter intake
BMR drag Bags

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I only meant there wasn't one in the box. But I couldn't really remember so I pulled the box out of the attic. No spring.

If this guy had pieces falling off when he removed it, then he didn't know what he was doing and he butchered it trying to take it out (but I don't see how). Or, it was already toast.

Either way, sounds like you need someone who knows how to rebuild one. Sorry man.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Get a hold of GMM. They sell rebuild kits and I'm sure could help you with the install. The only way the spring came out was he took the shifter apart instead of just unbolting the handle or the four bolts from the base. I would talk to the service manager. Another example of why no one else is ever going to touch my car.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 01:04 AM

Lol. I know I'm late to this. But come on. This has new goodies all over it. Lol. Make them buy you a new shifter and have them install it and then sell your old one. Then with that money you just made take your girl out for a night out! Win Win!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
How so? Remember, it was at a dealership. If anything, they might pop for a stock shifter if you could prove that they're to blame but I can't see GM paying for an aftermarket shifter.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 12:52 AM

Very good point. But just because its not a stock part doesnt mean they won't pay for it. But you do have to prove they were at fault.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
I've never heard of a dealership pay for a performance part upgrade. At best they may give you a stock one which is crap. Spend the couple of bucks and refurbish it.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in