User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Road Test Random Thoughts- Suspension Upg

These parts:

Front wheels: 1 deg negative camber, 1-1/2 degree positive caster.

Rear Wheels: 1 degree positive caster

Settings- All Konis on Medium, Hotchkis bars set to center hole.

Overall- Amazing, unbelievable. Hard to believe it's the same car. Definitely feels BMW-esqe now-- which was my goal.

Steering force required has gone up slightly. I call this a definite good thing.

The dreaded "dead zone" is gone at freeway speed. Any input, no matter how small, points the car in a new direction. There is a bit of "dartiness"-- which is why the car is sold with a less-aggressive alignment. This car must now be driven. If you cruise while talking on the cell phone- don't get this suspension!

The damping is much improved. Uneven road surfaces pass under the car with easy rapidity- no bounce, no jarring. The car is squeak-free.

The pronounced "boatiness," made much worse by the fact that my car had over 50k miles on the OEM struts, is completely gone. Hard acceleration nets a flat, stable body attitude- same goes with hard braking. Car remains very controllable with very hard braking as well- gone is that pronounced "push" understeer felt as the stock radius bushings would deform.

Directional stability is awesome, even at speeds up to 125 mph. At these speeds, the car feels solidly planted and completely at home.

I may move the rear Hotchkis sway bar to a more aggressive stting, however- there is still a slight tendency to understeer when push hard, and I prefer a car that oversteers (especially these cars, which throttle-steer so nicely). I am a little reluctant, as I do still like this setup.

I have to get to a track. This has definitely transformed my Holden into a no-sh1t M3-slayer.

More when I think of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 05:46 PM

You double poster. HAHAHA!!!!!

Is the ride uncomfortable for long periods of time?
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealernut
You double poster. HAHAHA!!!!!

Is the ride uncomfortable for long periods of time?
Not at all.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 06:09 PM

That is one of my biggest gripes about this car and my old WS6. I love responsive cars that can feel a curve. Especially at high speeds. I drove a Solstice on a closed course(I know, I know a 4 cld) and I loved the "feel' of the road.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 07:59 PM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
that is just AWESOME! I was told that the bushing upgrade kit makes the car feel SOOO much better, and after your input, it just puts another nail in my financial coffin I am trying to prepare for when I finally get one of these.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 10:17 PM

Finally, someone on this forum makes a change that isn't aimed at straight line performance!

I'm all excited!

Seems like these changes are pretty low cost compared to SC's or Turbos and would produce a lot more fun on a regular basis.

So, no serious negative impact to the straight line (highway) ride quality?
What about slides? Still easy to provoke and control? I don't want a tail happy car a la vette or 911.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut
Finally, someone on this forum makes a change that isn't aimed at straight line performance!

I'm all excited!

Seems like these changes are pretty low cost compared to SC's or Turbos and would produce a lot more fun on a regular basis.
Exactly. It's money well spent, if you find yourself wanting more control, rather than wanting to join the drag-strip knuckledraggers- I seriously think that people who ignore the European roots of this IRS-equipped chassis are missing a seriously cool boat.

That being said, the heavily-reduced pitch-up when putting the spurs to it in a straight-line is a very good thing indeed.

Quote:
So, no serious negative impact to the straight line (highway) ride quality?
None. Like I said, the car demands more attention now, as with the vague steering fixed the tiniest inputs steer the car-- but in my mind, that's a good thing indeed.

Quote:
What about slides? Still easy to provoke and control? I don't want a tail happy car a la vette or 911.
Easy to induce, also very easy to arrest and control- even on damp roads. My current set-up will kick the tail out with a well-timed jab of throttle while turning, but the nose kicks back in line with the current velocity vector when you let off on the gas. I think I would only make the rear sway shorter (stiffer) if I were autocrossing, as that should make the car a bit more "tail happy"-- but for regular canyon-carving I'd leave it as is. The cool thing about this setup is that you are left with far more options than the OEM suspension gives you.

Last edited by Groucho; 12-05-2005 at 08:08 AM.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:17 AM
big_mike

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Now, hit some on-ramps at 3x whats posted and let us know how it does.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_mike
Now, hit some on-ramps at 3x whats posted and let us know how it does.
That's SOP, baby.

Another thing I've noticed: high speed stability over rough pavement. The Grapevine section of the I-5 is a pretty torn-up piece of interstate, and running over the rough stuff at 90 mph is a wonderful thing. The suspension now just eats this stuff up, where it used to wallow like a wounded orca. Now, it's almost perfectly damped without being jarring.

As a point of reference, when the suspension was set to "Performance" the Vette bounced across this stuff like a flat stone skipping on a lake-- most disconcerting.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 11:06 AM

Total Investment $$$ Thanks for post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in