Selecting the right springs ? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Selecting the right springs ?

I have a stock suspension on a 04 gto and I wanna lower it a bit for a more aggressive look. I don't want to slam it. Someone told me eibach PRO springs. So I don't have to change my shocks. To those of you go have aftermarket springs what is your opinion? How low did you go and how is red quality? What else did you change during install like bushings shocks struts ? Thanks guys

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 01:42 PM

I wouldn't run Eibachs with stock struts. Also, if I recall the height of the Eibach rears correctly, you should be running rear camber bushings to correct for the camber with an 1" + drop.

06/QSM/A4
SoCal Goat Club
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamwalker View Post
I wouldn't run Eibachs with stock struts. Also, if I recall the height of the Eibach rears correctly, you should be running rear camber bushings to correct for the camber with an 1" + drop.
Cause with the eibachs I won't have to change my shocks tho right? What would your set up be? Just want to lower it a bit but make it a smoother ride too. Not bumpier

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 03:01 PM

If you want to get lowering springs in the front, you should use something like KONI or LOVELLS short-bodied struts. Stock style struts are not designed for use with lowering springs because of the reduced suspension travel.

In the rear, it is often said that if you drop 3/4" of an inch or more, you should use camber adjustment bushings to compensate. I am no expert in alignment and suspension geometry so I'd take their word for it. EIBACH drops 1" in the rear.

I am currently on stock height KING Springs front and rear coupled with KONI shocks/struts.

If it were me, I'd look into LOVELLS springs with a slight drop, nothing as drastic as EIBACHs.

06/QSM/A4
SoCal Goat Club
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you want to get lowering springs in the front, you should use something like KONI or LOVELLS short-bodied struts. Stock style struts are not designed for use with lowering springs because of the reduced suspension travel.

In the rear, it is often said that if you drop 3/4" of an inch or more, you should use camber adjustment bushings to compensate. I am no expert in alignment and suspension geometry so I'd take their word for it. EIBACH drops 1" in the rear.

I am currently on stock height KING Springs front and rear coupled with KONI shocks/struts.

If it were me, I'd look into LOVELLS springs with a slight drop, nothing as drastic as EIBACHs.
K I just want it to be a little smoother and a little lower. Withina budget of 500$ or so. So count coil overs out lol. This is how mine sits nowClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1385068552.053833.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	29730Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1385068570.662761.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	29738

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 03:40 PM

Looks like your rear is already sagging. If you want it lower still, you'll be looking at a fairly aggressive drop spring and a modest new drop spring would probably raise the rear.

Not sure how the roads are where you are but I went stock height and am glad I did. Low looks cool but I find myself with my nose over the parking space cement blocks often and if I was lowered, I'd be doing all sorts of damage to my front bumper.

Here's my car with King springs. This is what stock height is supposed to look like:

06/QSM/A4
SoCal Goat Club
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Looks like your rear is already sagging. If you want it lower still, you'll be looking at a fairly aggressive drop spring and a modest new drop spring would probably raise the rear.

Not sure how the roads are where you are but I went stock height and am glad I did. Low looks cool but I find myself with my nose over the parking space cement blocks often and if I was lowered, I'd be doing all sorts of damage to my front bumper.

Here's my car with King springs. This is what stock height is supposed to look like:

Oh dang. Your goats clean!! Roads aren't terrible here *sacramento ca. But I don't wanna slam it. Just tuck the tires a little. I know what you mean about parking cement blocks cause I'm trying to already get myself in routine on not pulling up all the way. Just curious on what other gto owners went with suspension wise

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Eibachs on the GTO do not have a great reputation. You can go 20mm (3/4") drop without special shocks or camber adjustable bushings. Lovells, Kings or Pedders are the only springs I'd consider. I ran Lovells 20mm drop. My rear camber with plain poly bushings is -1.2*/1.4*, well within stock specs.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
Eibachs on the GTO do not have a great reputation. You can go 20mm (3/4") drop without special shocks or camber adjustable bushings. Lovells, Kings or Pedders are the only springs I'd consider. I ran Lovells 20mm drop. My rear camber with plain poly bushings is -1.2*/1.4*, well within stock specs.
How'd did you like the ride quality of your lovells compared to stock

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
The BC Coilovers will allow you to drop as little or as much as you want correct? I am leaning towards the BC kit because its under a grand and its coil overs, where as the Lovels Eliminator kits are like $1200 from Kollar and they are just a strut shock combo. I'd much rather have coil overs then just a shock strut combo. and BC's are a quality product from what I've researched. Does anyone know the ride quality of the BC's?

I know very well first hand, that modding the suspension harsh-ens ride quality, but I would like the softest of aftermarket set-ups there is, if possible. Does anyone know if the BC's are softer then the eliminator kit or vice versa? Thanks.

2004 yellow jacket M6: AEM intake, SLP LM2, 05/06 front brakes with DBA slotted rotors & hawk pads, B&M shifter, MSD wires, NGK TR55 plugs, Diablo predator tuned..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in