User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
shift noise

Hi everyone,

I just got a new 2006 M6 a few days ago, about 500mi now. I began to notice a soft clanking noise when I shift in the lower (1-3rd) gears, sounds like metal-on-metal, coming from just below/in front of the shifter. Is this normal, or should I have it checked out?

Thanks,

Kand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 03:39 PM

I have a noise when I'm shifting. I notice it mostly at lower speeds, because it is not very noisy, and at higher speeds I think the engine sound, road noise, and the stereo drown it out. To me it just sounds like a very mechanical linkage moving around--I figured it was normal, seems "old school" normal to me--and have left it at that. But I'd like to see what others have to say, as I've been assuming it is normal, and if you have reason to suspect otherwise, I'll definately be interested in others' thoughts.

06 IBM/blue M6 18"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Clueless.

That is just what it sounds like--mechanical linkage operating. I don't mind the sound at all, in fact I like the vibration/noises of the shifter and engine, as this makes the car more fun to me. Just wanted to check that it isn't something loose or damaged. In the driver isolated appliance cars that I've driven for the last ~15 years, almost any noise would have meant that something was amis.

Next I guess I will need to deal with the FRC/fuel line issue. I read the posts on this, and the location of the rubbing problem is at the back side of the engine (i.e. facing the firewall) on the driver's side, and I correct? When I first popped the hood, I saw where the fuel line enters the driver's side of the FRC, but here there is a large gap between the FRC and the line, so I didn't think that this was the right location.

Do you know of any other issues that need addressed for 06's?

Thanks again,

Kand

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanding
Thanks, Clueless.

That is just what it sounds like--mechanical linkage operating. I don't mind the sound at all, in fact I like the vibration/noises of the shifter and engine, as this makes the car more fun to me. Just wanted to check that it isn't something loose or damaged. In the driver isolated appliance cars that I've driven for the last ~15 years, almost any noise would have meant that something was amis.

Next I guess I will need to deal with the FRC/fuel line issue. I read the posts on this, and the location of the rubbing problem is at the back side of the engine (i.e. facing the firewall) on the driver's side, and I correct? When I first popped the hood, I saw where the fuel line enters the driver's side of the FRC, but here there is a large gap between the FRC and the line, so I didn't think that this was the right location.

Do you know of any other issues that need addressed for 06's?

Thanks again,

Kand
I've experienced the same thing, and my gut reaction to all the noise was normal. I have an old habbit of doing a little left-to right shake to make sure I have it in Neutral. Normally, I only hear that before I start her up.

Other than that, if I'm trying to be really soft on driving it and not trying to draw attention (ha). To me, it sounds like I just put a slight lash through the drivetrain, but still sounded normal IMHO. My thought that any real problem there is going to surface under warranty.

I forgot to add that I also think that may have something to do with skip shift, and that I only hear it when I'm trying to shift and not accerate. If I take off in the car like I usually do, I never hear it. And I don't mean standing on it...just taking off normally.

I even realized today I've dirven that car a lot easier than my Bonnie!

Gerry

Last edited by ShoddyHog; 05-31-2006 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoddyHog
I forgot to add that I also think that may have something to do with skip shift, and that I only hear it when I'm trying to shift and not accerate. If I take off in the car like I usually do, I never hear it. And I don't mean standing on it...just taking off normally.

Yes, same here. I only hear it when I accelerate slowly. It seems like the car likes to be driven with gusto.

As for skip shift, I've only had it kick in once in 550 miles; I accelerated from a stop at a light, and the guy in front of me slowed down, so I lifted my foot from the gas petal to avoid hitting him. I then went to shift to 2nd and--bogging away in 4th. I've tried to get skip shift to kick in when I was driving around today, but I could never get it to do so, even if I accelerated slowly and shifted in the skip shift zone (I believe around 15-20 mph). Maybe the engine wasn't hot enough, I think that's another required parameter.

Kand
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, same here. I only hear it when I accelerate slowly. It seems like the car likes to be driven with gusto.

As for skip shift, I've only had it kick in once in 550 miles; I accelerated from a stop at a light, and the guy in front of me slowed down, so I lifted my foot from the gas petal to avoid hitting him. I then went to shift to 2nd and--bogging away in 4th. I've tried to get skip shift to kick in when I was driving around today, but I could never get it to do so, even if I accelerated slowly and shifted in the skip shift zone (I believe around 15-20 mph). Maybe the engine wasn't hot enough, I think that's another required parameter.

Kand
Give it a nother couple hundred miles, and you'll be able to demo that "feature" no problem.

Gerry
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 09:54 PM

As far as the fuel line FRC issue, I believe that only applies to the 04 GTO's.

I have swapped out the tranny fluid (yes, I have an 2005 M6) with Mobil 1 Dex III a couple of times and it has improved the shift feel (esp in cold temps) and shift engagement when changing gears. And while you are at it, change out your diff fluid a couple of times within the first 5000 miles. You will be amazed how cruddy the fluid looks after so few miles. I changed out both sets of fluids at 1000 miles and at 4000 miles. I also used Mobil 1 75-140 with GM friction modifier in the diff.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 11:37 PM

Other than the fuel line issue, which as Bergenfelter said is mainly an 04 issue, you should be aware of what is called "strut rub". If you search for that term, you'll find a couple of threads including a link outside of this forum. Keep the alignment up, rotate tires often, and perhaps adjust the camber. This seems to only affect 17" wheels (if stock--235 tires are not wide enough apparently).

06 IBM/blue M6 18"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless
Other than the fuel line issue, which as Bergenfelter said is mainly an 04 issue, you should be aware of what is called "strut rub". If you search for that term, you'll find a couple of threads including a link outside of this forum. Keep the alignment up, rotate tires often, and perhaps adjust the camber. This seems to only affect 17" wheels (if stock--235 tires are not wide enough apparently).

Thanks for the warning.

Though I wanted the wider tires, I specifically avoided the 17" wheels for that reason. Hopefully the 235s won't also be affected.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the warning.

Though I wanted the wider tires, I specifically avoided the 17" wheels for that reason. Hopefully the 235s won't also be affected.
I just liked the look...after ordering my car, I started reading this forum and was giving myself a two-fisted toast

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in