User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Justice
Shifting Issues

Need some help here. Wracking my brain trying to figure this one out.

2004 M6

Over a year ago I noticed that slowly over time, it was beginning to get harder to shift in to any gear.

About 9 months ago, I had the clutch changed out to a centerforce set, and installed a GMM Ripshifter. New Slave Cylinder was installed, no shim. Changed fluid to Mobil1 ATF. Problem was still there.

One month ago, Shifting began to get really difficult to get in to any gear if the GTO was at a complete stop. Recently changed the driveshaft to a 1-piece, installed new master cylinder, and new clutch line. Pressure bled the system. Problem seemed to go away, but I had to wait to get the GTO to an exhaust shop to fix my clearance issues because of the new driveshaft, before I could drive it again on a daily basis. I drove it around the block a few times and it seemed to be perfect. But after driving it to the shop, it was doing it again. So the problem is still there.

Trying to put the GTO in gear is getting worse. Doesn't matter if the engine is running or off. Replaced everything BUT the T56 itself. I read in another thread that someone failed to use loctite when they installed their GMM, but I did use loctite, AND the problem was there with the stock shifter. As a last resort I'm ordering new bushing parts for the clutch pedal assembly.

Any ideas as to what is wrong?

"Some people are like slinky's. They really have no useful purpose, but they can still put a smile on your face when you push them down stairs."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It's not the clutch pedal bushings.
I would check all the hydraulic connections for leaking/seeping.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
It's not the clutch pedal bushings.
I would check all the hydraulic connections for leaking/seeping.
Did that. No leaks.

"Some people are like slinky's. They really have no useful purpose, but they can still put a smile on your face when you push them down stairs."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm a new owner of a 2005 Midnight Blue M6 and have difficulty getting into 1st and reverse. Is there some kind of kit available to shorten the throws of the gearbox and is this a common problem for GTOs?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Did that. No leaks.
I would try and bleed it. See what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johni53 View Post
I'm a new owner of a 2005 Midnight Blue M6 and have difficulty getting into 1st and reverse. Is there some kind of kit available to shorten the throws of the gearbox and is this a common problem for GTOs?
I don't think GTOs not going in gear is a common thing. Usually means you need fresh fluid, need to bleed it, or your clutch is about shot.

And yes there are short shifters out there. Do a quick google search adn you will find 2-3 different options really fast. GMM, Hurst, Lou's....

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
I would try and bleed it. See what happens.

I don't think GTOs not going in gear is a common thing. Usually means you need fresh fluid, need to bleed it, or your clutch is about shot.

And yes there are short shifters out there. Do a quick google search adn you will find 2-3 different options really fast. GMM, Hurst, Lou's....
Bled again, and replaced the clutch pedal spring, pivot pin, nut, and bushings. Problem still exists.

The only thing that isn't new, is the pilot bearing. Going to drop the tranny and replace. After that... See if I can get the T56 rebuilt.

Here's the main issue; Pedal to the floor, power is still be applied through the drivetrain to the rear wheels. The clutch isn't fully disengaging.

Everything new: Clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, throwout bearing, Clutch hose (Steel), Clutch master cylinder, Clutch pedal bushings, an of course fluid. The system was pressure bled.

This just sux...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 06:00 PM

I would check your clutch, even though its new, it could still b too thick or warped from setting in a warehouse crooked. get a caliper gauge and check the thickness on it. If its too thick it will never fully disengauge. just throwin out some sugestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in