steering shakes - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
steering shakes

i got new aftermarket rims. even after beeing balanced 5 times the steering wheel shakes at 62mph. its been road forced balanced. what gives. anybody got a good mech in queens or li to look at my suspension?

lingenfelter cai, vararam tb spacer, v/max ported tb, livernoise stage 2 heads with comp cam 232/232/.50 114 lsa. slp 1 3/4 headers high flow cats, x pipe, qtp cut outs, flowmaster mufflers. tuned by tt performance , highly recomended in n.j.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:25 PM

The wheels either still arn't balanced or they don't properly center on the car. You may need a Centric ring and or a different set of lugs. Find out from your wheel dealer if it's a lug centric wheel or hub centric wheel and if they offer a componet for either app that could help your problem. Also chec the pressure to high air pressure can cause a vibration from decreased absorption from the tire. From my experience most people think they can balance a tire but don't even fully understand how the machine thinks and works and what it's trying to accomplish so it could be a balance issue. Each time you brought it in did it come up out of balance or did they just say it was?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

each time i brought it in it had to be rebalanced. if i brought it to someone else theyesay it was way out. i'll bring it up to them about the lug sentric or hub sentric. thanks

lingenfelter cai, vararam tb spacer, v/max ported tb, livernoise stage 2 heads with comp cam 232/232/.50 114 lsa. slp 1 3/4 headers high flow cats, x pipe, qtp cut outs, flowmaster mufflers. tuned by tt performance , highly recomended in n.j.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lautinjr View Post
The wheels either still arn't balanced or they don't properly center on the car. You may need a Centric ring and or a different set of lugs. Find out from your wheel dealer if it's a lug centric wheel or hub centric wheel and if they offer a componet for either app that could help your problem. Also chec the pressure to high air pressure can cause a vibration from decreased absorption from the tire. From my experience most people think they can balance a tire but don't even fully understand how the machine thinks and works and what it's trying to accomplish so it could be a balance issue. Each time you brought it in did it come up out of balance or did they just say it was?
i went to the web sight to see what you where talking about. boy that makes sence. i told the the guy that sold me the rims , he was dum founded, i also spoke to the guy who did the next balancing, they where shocked. i think you hit it on the nail. i told the guy that sold me the rims if theres no one to do this within 5 miles ,i get my lawyer and you reinburs me for the tires , wich they told me it was the problem. time, gas, rims and lawyers fees. i hope that woke someone up.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 09:45 PM

I don't understand the lawyer thing, but if the wheels didn't come with hub rings get some. There only $60. Jack up the car, take the tire off, tap it in the bore, and put it back. It'll take five minutes a tire. Not a big deal.

<-- Guess which ones quicker?.....Nope! Not even close.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:41 PM

Honestly if the wheels don't properly center on the hub it is a safty risk. I wish you where in vegas i could check it out and give you a real answer to what your problem is. a centric ring for a camaro, firebird or vette all 98-present will work they all have the same size hub center. Can you post a link to your wheels and tires? I might be able to get you some more info with research. Tires just for sizing and quality or known issues i'm also curious.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

i got the lug centric balance done. that didnt do jak sh*t. i toll them to put the tires back on the oem rim. they where flawless. i kept telling them it was the rims. im gettimg new rims. its hard getting rims for this car. i looking for black 5 spoke.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXSTAR7 View Post
i got the lug centric balance done. that didnt do jak sh*t. i toll them to put the tires back on the oem rim. they where flawless. i kept telling them it was the rims. im gettimg new rims. its hard getting rims for this car. i looking for black 5 spoke.
there is no such thing as a lug centric balance, wait they balanced it by the lugs rather then center hole. Ok! That wouldn't solve your problem and wasn't what i was saying. The problem is your rims don't center on the hub you need either a ring that allows it to center on the cars hub perfectly or the rim could be a lug centric rim which means it is self centering when you torque it down incrementally but that requires a certain type of lug nut that your wheel manufacturer will specify to use.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

( ok!) my bad. im going to see him 1 more time today. i'll post what happened. thanks

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

well, i told him to put the oem rims in front. the car drove like glass. nobody could figure why the vibes at 62mph. so he took the rims off and gave me my money back. i decided to get the oems fixed and painted in black satin powder coat. thanks god thats over. it took almost 3 weeks to get this done. thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in