Swaping my 04 diff with an o5 help!!! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Swaping my 04 diff with an o5 help!!!

I purchesed an 05 diff and found that the yolk has 4 bolts as opposed to my 04's 3 bolt pattern. Is it possiable to swap the yolk? I am trying to avoid having to buy the rubber boot for the 05 and if I have to will it bolt up to my 04 drive shaft. I have a window of 22 hours to do this swap so any advice will be supper helpful. and yes i know, why would i start taking this apart without knowing what was entailed. my bad but please help. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 PM
dms

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAnarchy View Post
I purchesed an 05 diff and found that the yolk has 4 bolts as opposed to my 04's 3 bolt pattern. Is it possiable to swap the yolk? I am trying to avoid having to buy the rubber boot for the 05 and if I have to will it bolt up to my 04 drive shaft. I have a window of 22 hours to do this swap so any advice will be supper helpful. and yes i know, why would i start taking this apart without knowing what was entailed. my bad but please help. Thanks in advance
the yoke s transferrable. But it is critical to get the nut in the EXACT same place. Failure to do this will either reduce or increase pinion preload. you do not want to do either!

mike
dms

Michael White
DMS Doing Mike's Stuff
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I may be wrong, but I thought the 04 and the 05-06 had six bolts in the rubber donut.
Three to the rearend yoke and three to the driveshaft flange. I have 2ea. 05 or 06 rearends
in the basement and the one in my 05. They all have a
3 bolt yoke on the rearend. I found that the bolt pattern is smaller diameter on the 04.
Here is a pic of an 05-06 donut.
It is the same for the front and rear.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05-06 GTO Driveshaft rear yoke with rubber.jpg
Views:	1373
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	5428  

2005 GTO Quick - 1984 Honda V65 Magna Quicker - 2004 Z06 Quickest

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAnarchy View Post
If you have a four bolt yoke then someone had a aftermarket DS on it before(stock is three). Do what DMS said and x-fer the yoke off your old one. Just fyi The 05-06 DS, pumpkin and CV's are different than the 04.

If it just takes swaping the yoke to get a stronger rearend on an 04 thats a good deal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in