User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to fiddler_red
T56 woes

Hi all. I am having a bit of a struggle lately getting my car into reverse. I changed out the stock shifter for a billet about a year ago and found it to be just great. Yesterday I dumped the stock tranny fluid and put in close to 5 quarts of royal purple fluid, using the reverse switch as a fill plug, as many have suggested here and on ls1gto.com. I put it all together and alas, I found that I had to lean on the shifter to get it into reverse, and I mean HARD, with both hands and my body weight!!! Once I finally got it in gear and went to shift back to 1st, it really popped out of the reverse gate. There is no problem with 1-6, it's noticeably smoother with the new fluid.

I should also mention the position of the car during the procedure, as maybe that had something to do with this problem. I backed the car up on ramps first (also changed out the diff fluid), then jacked up the passenger side of the car a bit to get at the drain and reverse/fill plugs. The car was in neutral during the install, I'm thinking maybe something got bent from the car being at such an angle. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by fiddler_red; 07-13-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler_red View Post
Hi all. I am having a bit of a struggle lately getting my car into reverse. I changed out the stock shifter for a billet about a year ago and found it to be just great. Yesterday I dumped the stock tranny fluid and put in close to 5 quarts of royal purple fluid, using the reverse switch as a fill plug, as many have suggested here and on ls1gto.com. I put it all together and alas, I found that I had to lean on the shifter to get it into reverse, and I mean HARD, with both hands and my body weight!!! Once I finally got it in gear and went to shift back to 1st, it really popped out of the reverse gate. There is no problem with 1-6, it's noticeably smoother with the new fluid.

I should also mention the position of the car during the procedure, as maybe that had something to do with this problem. I backed the car up on ramps first (also changed out the diff fluid), then jacked up the passenger side of the car a bit to get at the drain and reverse/fill plugs. The car was in neutral during the install, I'm thinking maybe something got bent from the car being at such an angle. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Our M6 holds 4.6l of fluid. I am using RP in my grar box. I'm hoping you bought the stuff with Syncromax or whatever they call it. We need that. If you are having reverse issues to the point your describing, give the oil a little time to get in there and do its job, but def consider checking to see if the shifter you installed has any adjustment. Next I would bleed your clutch fluid.

Hope this help!

Oh, and do your rear diff with RP, it already has the FM in it. Mine runs like a champ now! I think mine was 75w-140.

It sucks that the RP trans and diff fluids are $20 a quart but well worth it.

2003 Corvette Z06 - MGW shifter, Corsa X pipe, Corsa Xtreme exhaust, Texas Speed long tubes w/o cats, PowerStop rotors/pads, Conti DWS tires, C6Z51 F&R sways, C5R headlights, tuned

04 GTO - sold
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 06:02 AM

castrol lsx 90 is cheap and awesome for diffs (has friction modifier, and is like $40 for 4L)

and castrol TRANSMAX z is the **** for the t56.

apparently its as pricey as synthetic motor oil, $70 for 5L (we are talking AUD tho, sorry guys!)

I havent heard of people using the RP stuff in either, most of my skyline mates love RP, but often it is a bit thicker than the rating suggests..

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
to the OP, it sounds odd that the problem came up after a fluid change. the first thing i'd check tho is the switch you filled from. what you touched would be the most obvious.

as far as fluids. DiffTechnics which is an Australian company says that you shouldn't use synthetic oil in the diff. i know i used RP for a while and got one wheel peel-outs and more noise. after reading DiffTech's recommendation i switched to Torco RGO 85W140 gear oil and Type "F" friction modifier. the usual amount of friction modifier is 1 oz. in the stock pig or 2 oz. with a harrop cover (they hold more oil) but i found the best way to do it is put in a little less than that and try it. if it doesn't "click" when doing tight turns, great. if it does add a little more until it quits doing it. the least amount you need to work is the best. the friction modifier is an additive to make the oil slipperier and helps the limited slip work right. if you add too much it slips when it shouldn't. likewise too slippery of an oil is the same problem.

in the tranny i've seen mixed reviews but i've had a problem with my tranny occasionally "slipping" too easily into gear and grinding the gears because the syncos weren't engaging correctly. once again the thing i read was that synthetic trans fluid is too slippery for our transmission and regular old Dexron is the best. i had the problem with RP and also Mobil 1. switching back to the manufacturer's recommended oil (Dexron ATF) fixed the issue.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:38 PM

Ive been researching lately oil lately alot and when I came across this...

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

It was hands down for me, Ive decided to run Amsoil in my rear Diff because that test really shows it all, to me hands down Amsoil looks like it came out much better then any other rear diff gear lubes.

Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-140 (same oil used in test except test oil was 75w-90

AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic Extreme Pressure 75w140 Product Bulletin

As for the transmission I'm either going with

Amsoil Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid

AMSOIL Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Product Bulletin

or

RP Synchromax

Royal Purple Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid (Quart) - P/N: 01512

Im kinda leaning toward RP for the tranny...

For the engine I'le be going with Mobil1 , RP or Amsoil...

Im debating on becoming a Preferred Amsoil Customer...

Preferred Customer Program

If I do this I think Ile go with Amsoil in engine, tranny and rear diff to get the best price and bang for my buck.

Just my thoughts... GL with your tranny, I will be doing the full fluid swap too soon

2006 Pontiac GTO (1 of 277)
M6 T-56, 17" Stock Rims
IBM on Black Leather
360RWHP/350RWTQ

~Mod List~

GMM Rip Shifter Sport w/CobraBob's Shifter Gaskets
Vararam OTRCAI
(Poolshark's) DIY Port & Polished Stock TB and Intake Manifold
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark1321 View Post
Ive been researching lately oil lately alot and when I came across this...

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

It was hands down for me, Ive decided to run Amsoil in my rear Diff because that test really shows it all, to me hands down Amsoil looks like it came out much better then any other rear diff gear lubes.

Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-140 (same oil used in test except test oil was 75w-90

AMSOIL Severe Gear Synthetic Extreme Pressure 75w140 Product Bulletin

As for the transmission I'm either going with

Amsoil Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid

or

RP Synchromax

Royal Purple Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid (Quart) - P/N: 01512

Im kinda leaning toward RP for the tranny...

For the engine I'le be going with Mobil1 , RP or Amsoil...

Im debating on becoming a Preferred Amsoil Customer...

If I do this I think Ile go with Amsoil in engine, tranny and rear diff to get the best price and bang for my buck.

Just my thoughts... GL with your tranny, I will be doing the full fluid swap too soon
I have been running Amsoil auot fluid in tranny and synthetic in thediff with modifier for 80,000. Love it! Gas mileage went up too.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdnUdnGTO View Post
I have been running Amsoil auot fluid in tranny and synthetic in thediff with modifier for 80,000. Love it! Gas mileage went up too.
Which Amsoil auto fluid? They list two different types:

Manual Transmission,.....GLS[2]
Torque-Drive™ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATD)
Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to fiddler_red
problem solved...

Ok, here's the deal for the reverse lockout problem. While changing tranny and diff fluids, I also snapped in a cags eliminator from SLP. I got it on the reverse lockout solenoid by mistake. I guess it can happen, I just hope I didn't damage anything by muscling it into reverse a couple times.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:33 AM

I would use this one...

Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid

because it says specifically for replacement of Dexron III... the fluid that GM says to use for our manual trannys in our owners manual.

For anyone that regularly changes their oil and does all their own maintenance I really think the Preferred Customer Program offered by Amsoil here is a great great deal.

2006 Pontiac GTO (1 of 277)
M6 T-56, 17" Stock Rims
IBM on Black Leather
360RWHP/350RWTQ

~Mod List~

GMM Rip Shifter Sport w/CobraBob's Shifter Gaskets
Vararam OTRCAI
(Poolshark's) DIY Port & Polished Stock TB and Intake Manifold
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 01:44 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
i thought it would be your reverve switch mess up. to the Amsoil groupies i think you've bought the ShanWow program.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in