wheel alignment - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wheel alignment

just wanted to tell everyone to check there wheel alinement. at 20,000 my front wheels where in bad shape from the inside. they wore out very uneven and i checked my tire pressure every oil change and the air was good everytime. so get your cars checked, these tires dont last as it is, they say ur lucky if you get 30000 on them. and they go for about 180 each at big o tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
sound like you had the sturt rub problem
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkorn77
just wanted to tell everyone to check there wheel alinement. at 20,000 my front wheels where in bad shape from the inside. they wore out very uneven and i checked my tire pressure every oil change and the air was good everytime. so get your cars checked, these tires dont last as it is, they say ur lucky if you get 30000 on them. and they go for about 180 each at big o tires.
I agree on the alignment issues. With IRS it becomes even more important....

But my god man, where are you buying tires? $180 ? You need to visit Sam's Club.....save some money.

2005 GTO
PBM, RI, A4 with 18" wheels
One of 68

78 Trans Am
46,000 miles, BBC 402
4 speed
Custom automotive photography services available.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOTOGOAT
I agree on the alignment issues. With IRS it becomes even more important....

But my god man, where are you buying tires? $180 ? You need to visit Sam's Club.....save some money.

Or go to TireMart.com- - -great prices, they'll ship to your door or a local tire installer, and you can set up the install, time/date, everything right from your pc.

(You will still need to drive the car there)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 11:05 AM

Discount tires is $146
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 12:12 PM

These are some pictures of my 2004 GTO's suspension and tires. Their is obvious tire wear on both of my front tires, from where it has been rubbing on the suspension when I go over bumps. I took my vehicle to a dealer, and GM sent some one to inspect it, they say that their is nothing wrong with my vehicle. Since then, I asked another gentleman that has an '04 GTO also, and we looked at it and he has the same problem. He also took his vehicle to GM and they said that their is nothing wrong with his vehicle. I have pictures posted that show my car, and a picture of on of his tires. I am looking to file a lawsuit against GM, and I need every ones help doing this. If you have the stock tires and rims on your '04 GTO pleas inspect the tires for abnormal wear, and your suspension for rust of any other sign of the tire rubbing. If any of this pertains to you or anyone you know experiencing this CALL ME A.S.A.P. 815-955-3882 If we get enough of us that have this problem, we can file a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT, it is very important that every one works together!

Last edited by Sean Monahan; 03-24-2006 at 12:33 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 12:39 PM

Sean,
Where exactly is this wear you are talking about? You have a picture you can post?

I have stated before, that it is perfectly normal for the inner edge (on the normal rolling tread of the tire) to wear out first on these cars just like they do on the Corvette. To improve handling, the front camber is negative (top of tire towards the inside of the car). This results in the inner edge getting most of the wear during straight line use. But, it really helps in cornering performance. If you don't do any serious cornering to wear the outside part of the tire, the inside will wear out first. FYI, I ran two sets of tires on my Z06 before turning it into a dedicated track car. Wore the inside edge of the first set out in 3k miles, the second in 10k miles.... smiling the whole time.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:06 AM

I can email you pictures of the tire and where it is rubbing on the suspension. Their are obvious signs of the strut rub, thier is rust from the long term rub. I'll try to get them on the site today, but I'm not sure if I will be able to.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 11:12 PM

Have the front camber brought up to zero degrees during a wheel alignment and this will solve the problem. I am an alignment tech and did this on my 05 GTO.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSGTO
Have the front camber brought up to zero degrees during a wheel alignment and this will solve the problem. I am an alignment tech and did this on my 05 GTO.
Yup. Do it. Soon. If not to zero, then to pretty darned close. It'll keep your front tires from rubbing the struts, and the inner rib of your tread won't wear out so fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in