Drag Radials on 2004 GTO (Nitto) - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drag Radials on 2004 GTO (Nitto)

I just got back from the track on Wednesday... I wasn't happy at all; I was not getting good numbers. But hey I got a perfect light of .000 which made my night better. Haha.

My issue is tire spin off the line and through first, second, and third gear. I drive an Automatic transmission and those who are familiar with the 2004 GTO's know that they squat when staging up and holding the gas and brake using the stock stall on the car.

I was wanting some drag radials for the car. I preferably would like to have Nitto's. I have narrowed it down to the NT05R and the NT555R. I have a feeling that the NT05R would hook better just by the look of the tread pattern but I am no expert on tires. Will the Nt05R even fit? I have searched all of the internet to find if anyone has had them on a GTO.. I didn't find much at all. It seemed that the NT555R was pretty popular.

I am wanting to run a 275/40/r17 on the stock rims.

Also I am only running 425rwhp and 400rwtq so I do not need slicks or anything. Just something to get the job done.

Has anyone had experience with either tire? Any piece of feed back would be greatly appreciated..Thanks

Also has anyone heard of running the GTO's spare tire as a skinny on the front? I was reading about it but didn't seem safe to me. If anyone has heard of that or know anything about it being better please tell me. I am curious to try it but do not want to be the first to experiment and break something.
A4GTOMAJOR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Former Moderator
 
svede1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 4,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4GTOMAJOR View Post
I just got back from the track on Wednesday... I wasn't happy at all; I was not getting good numbers. But hey I got a perfect light of .000 which made my night better. Haha.

My issue is tire spin off the line and through first, second, and third gear. I drive an Automatic transmission and those who are familiar with the 2004 GTO's know that they squat when staging up and holding the gas and brake using the stock stall on the car.

I was wanting some drag radials for the car. I preferably would like to have Nitto's. I have narrowed it down to the NT05R and the NT555R. I have a feeling that the NT05R would hook better just by the look of the tread pattern but I am no expert on tires. Will the Nt05R even fit? I have searched all of the internet to find if anyone has had them on a GTO.. I didn't find much at all. It seemed that the NT555R was pretty popular.

I am wanting to run a 275/40/r17 on the stock rims.

Also I am only running 425rwhp and 400rwtq so I do not need slicks or anything. Just something to get the job done.

Has anyone had experience with either tire? Any piece of feed back would be greatly appreciated..Thanks

Also has anyone heard of running the GTO's spare tire as a skinny on the front? I was reading about it but didn't seem safe to me. If anyone has heard of that or know anything about it being better please tell me. I am curious to try it but do not want to be the first to experiment and break something.
The 555R is a good street tire but I've had them and they suck at high HP dragging. The NT05R is supposedly a much better tire but I don't have personal experience with it. After spending good money on 555Rs and BFG DRs and being able to spin them at will I am saving for Hoosiers or M/Ts. It's disappointing to spend $400+ and still have issues. I've tried a friends M/Ts and they dead hooked. Spare wheels up front have been done a lot as long as you put on the right tires. I've read that they were track banned in Aussieland for safety but never have seen a story of their failure. 275 Nittos are narrower than other brands and fit pretty well altho fender rolling/cutting may be needed or drag bags pumped up.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
svede1212 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 04:55 PM
 
RJ_05GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im running 245 55 nt555R's on some ebay bought stock 17's and they work great for me at the power level I am at. But mine is a A4 too so I cant launch but so hard. They dead hook on the track. Just stab the throttle and go. I can stab it to the floor on the street and sometimes they dead hook and sometimes they might spin over a few times before they hook depending on the temperature I guess.

05 GTO A4- Svede otrcai, Fast 102, Livernois stg 2 ported heads, Texas Speed 224R cam, Pacesetter LT's, Edge 3000 stall, Kooks afterburners, Pedders 0 drp rear springs and shocks, MT et streets, 418rwhp/391rwtq, [email protected]
RJ_05GTO is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:29 PM
 
SirMarco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Elgin, IL(East Side)
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I run a 275/40/17 on a stock 17. I cut my fenders some to just make sure. These are my second set of the 555R's. I went with these over the NT05 because of the amount of street driving/racing I do. The NT05 were just to soft an wear to fast. I'm not a baller that can afford a few sets a year.

2004 TR
Cam Only LS1
Tuned By Fast Motorsports
2005 HD V-Rod Nice Weather DD
SirMarco is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:22 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i ran 285 35 18 nitto 555R bald, they are showing cracks now, so worn out, but they still grip a lot better then 285 pireli potenza e040 that have about 65% thread left. it's unbelievable. I am thinking of buying a new set of 555R agian due to traction, but am researching to see if there is anything better outthere that will last.

as far as the width of nitto goes, svede, i would say they are true to fit. the other brands might be bigger by 1mm or 2 mm due to having stronger sidewall than nitto.
firebird is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Former Moderator
 
svede1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 4,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird View Post
i ran 285 35 18 nitto 555R bald, they are showing cracks now, so worn out, but they still grip a lot better then 285 pireli potenza e040 that have about 65% thread left. it's unbelievable. I am thinking of buying a new set of 555R agian due to traction, but am researching to see if there is anything better outthere that will last.

as far as the width of nitto goes, svede, i would say they are true to fit. the other brands might be bigger by 1mm or 2 mm due to having stronger sidewall than nitto.
Try another brand 275 like BFG and you'll see it's a lot more than 1 or 2mm. The Nitto 555R also have more rounded shoulders so the flat contact area is less. I've had both on my car and the difference is substantial. The NT05R will be a better tire for the OP drag racing if he sticks with Nitto. Being an auto he probably won't have spinning problems like the M6s

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
svede1212 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:41 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
Try another brand 275 like BFG and you'll see it's a lot more than 1 or 2mm. The Nitto 555R also have more rounded shoulders so the flat contact area is less. I've had both on my car and the difference is substantial. The NT05R will be a better tire for the OP drag racing if he sticks with Nitto. Being an auto he probably won't have spinning problems like the M6s
i tell you right now, i went to a used tire shop, and a michellin 275, think it was power something, put it agianst my nitto 285 555R and it was the same width, right. the only difference was that the nitto was mounted on the rim and the michelin was not. ok so i am thinking that svede guy was right, the nitto runs smaller. anyway, i put a 285 pirelli p zero aginst my nitto 285, and what do you know, the pirelli is wider by about half an inch to a 75% of an inch. the only difference was, once again, the nitto was mounted on the rim and the pirelli was not mounted on the rim. so i think to myself, that svede guy was right, the regular 285 does run wider then nitto 285. Now get a load of this;

i mount the 285 pirelli to the rim and compare the tires now, with both being mounted to the rims, and what do you know, the size is the fricking same, no difference. due to nitto not having steel sidewall as other brands they are 1-3mm narrower, but the traction pad is the same.

so i am assuming that when you compared your BFG tires to nitto, both brands were not mounted. am i right? there is a lot of variance between brands, but it helps to norrow down as many factors as possible to get it to the same level in order to be compared.

from what i learned, it seems that the tire streches outward, being round, so it shrinks in width once mounted to the rim.
firebird is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 01:04 AM
 
87GN06GTO07IRL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: A few car lengths ahead in Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird View Post
from what i learned, it seems that the tire streches outward, being round, so it shrinks in width once mounted to the rim.
It depends on the tire width and the rim width. I use 265's on a 9.5" wheel. My set up has a 1/2" wider contact patch than 275's on 8" wheels. You guys need to stop cramming big tires on small wheels. A 255 is as big as you want to go on an 8" wheel. A 275 will be no improvement and add weight and reduce cornering. Size your tires to your wheels properly and you'll be happy.

<-- Guess which ones quicker?.....Nope! Not even close.
87GN06GTO07IRL is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 07:32 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On an 8 inch wheel the biggest one should go is 255, anything bigger and tire will bulk up and be wearing out in the middle and will be squeezed inside losing the width
firebird is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Former Moderator
 
svede1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 4,081
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird View Post
i tell you right now, i went to a used tire shop, and a michellin 275, think it was power something, put it agianst my nitto 285 555R and it was the same width, right. the only difference was that the nitto was mounted on the rim and the michelin was not. ok so i am thinking that svede guy was right, the nitto runs smaller. anyway, i put a 285 pirelli p zero aginst my nitto 285, and what do you know, the pirelli is wider by about half an inch to a 75% of an inch. the only difference was, once again, the nitto was mounted on the rim and the pirelli was not mounted on the rim. so i think to myself, that svede guy was right, the regular 285 does run wider then nitto 285. Now get a load of this;

i mount the 285 pirelli to the rim and compare the tires now, with both being mounted to the rims, and what do you know, the size is the fricking same, no difference. due to nitto not having steel sidewall as other brands they are 1-3mm narrower, but the traction pad is the same.

so i am assuming that when you compared your BFG tires to nitto, both brands were not mounted. am i right? there is a lot of variance between brands, but it helps to norrow down as many factors as possible to get it to the same level in order to be compared.

from what i learned, it seems that the tire streches outward, being round, so it shrinks in width once mounted to the rim.
They were mounted to the wheel and on my car. The nitto fit on the same wheels on the car without fender rolling. The BFG barely fit with rolling. I went out and measured the 275 BFG drag DRs which I still have mounted on stock wheels. I put a flat edge on both sides to get an acurrate reading of overall width. They are 10". I don't have Nittos anymore but they measured smaller. My Firehawk Wide Ovals are 285s on "stock" 9" wheels and they measure 10". If you put a straight edge on both sides of mounted Nittos and measured you'll see that tire sizes are merely suggestions and different brands run different sizes. BFGs run wide and Nittos run narrower.


2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
svede1212 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Wheels and tires

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drag radials?!? 04Black Goat Wheels and tires 12 06-28-2010 08:21 PM
Could i put on a set of nitto 305 drag radials on a 04 gto bigmike89 Wheels and tires 7 11-21-2009 03:52 PM
need new drag radials for my 1970 gto gto455 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion 4 02-08-2008 06:57 PM
Drag Radials baaadgoat Wheels and tires 3 08-08-2007 10:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome