Inner Tire wear - Drop to 235s instead of 245s? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Inner Tire wear - Drop to 235s instead of 245s?

So, I did my oil change and noticed heavy wear on the inside tread of the front tires. On the passenger side, it's completely bald on the inside tread.. pretty much down to the belts. The drivers side is almost down to the belts, it's not completely bald, some tread can be seen. (fyi - i'm at 55k miles on stock suspension)

So I've decided to put the money out for the NO RUB kit from Kollar racing and was also thinking about picking up some Rear springs because my rear end looks like it's sitting a bit low (not sure if I should just wait to get these though...)

Will aftermarket bushings/mounts wear/collapse prematurely like the stock bushings/mounts or will they last long? BTW, this is daily driving. No racing, no tracking. I ask because once I get the new bushings and strut mounts installed, I will need a new set of tires. I was thinking about going to 235s instead of the oem 245 size. If the aftermarket bushings/mounts are likely to wear within say 50k miles, then I'd like to save my tires by going a little narrower if possible.

Anyone have any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgrafton View Post
So, I did my oil change and noticed heavy wear on the inside tread of the front tires. On the passenger side, it's completely bald on the inside tread.. pretty much down to the belts. The drivers side is almost down to the belts, it's not completely bald, some tread can be seen. (fyi - i'm at 55k miles on stock suspension)

So I've decided to put the money out for the NO RUB kit from Kollar racing and was also thinking about picking up some Rear springs because my rear end looks like it's sitting a bit low (not sure if I should just wait to get these though...)

Will aftermarket bushings/mounts wear/collapse prematurely like the stock bushings/mounts or will they last long? BTW, this is daily driving. No racing, no tracking. I ask because once I get the new bushings and strut mounts installed, I will need a new set of tires. I was thinking about going to 235s instead of the oem 245 size. If the aftermarket bushings/mounts are likely to wear within say 50k miles, then I'd like to save my tires by going a little narrower if possible.

Anyone have any input?
I can't really comment about the aftermarket kit, however the rear springs on these vehicles were shot from the get go. I installed Lovell's on mine (Kollar Racing) and they make a huge difference in the squat, or lack there of after install. Plus changing the rear springs, in most cases, will fix the negative camber caused by the sagging stock springs. Andy @ Kollar Racing will be able to guide you in the right direction. He's very knowledgable.

God Bless Billiards!!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
On the front the strut bushings/bearings with an alignment will help. If your struts are bad you may still have a problem tho. Also check your front radius rod bushings. They were liquid filled and most started leaking within a coupe of years. If the kit doesn't have the Front RR I'd get those on ASAP

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
On the front the strut bushings/bearings with an alignment will help. If your struts are bad you may still have a problem tho. Also check your front radius rod bushings. They were liquid filled and most started leaking within a coupe of years. If the kit doesn't have the Front RR I'd get those on ASAP
kit included RR bushings and bump stops. I'm hoping struts are ok...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

do you think my struts are ok after 55k miles? or would it be worth replacing them too... I'm just trying to spend as little as possible right now. I would think struts would be good for 100k miles.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If they are the stock struts, it is time for them to be replaced.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Wheels and tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in