Current leak through interior lighting kills battery - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Current leak through interior lighting kills battery

2006 GTO, M6, owned since new, 65K miles.

My car has been very trouble-free but an electrical gremlin has gradually developed. About a year ago I noticed that the battery began dying if the car wasn't driven for a while. Its gradually gotten worse and now the battery is dead after only a couple of days. The charging system seems fine, and checking with a volt meter the battery has a full charge after driving around for a bit. I replaced the battery and that did not help, so I checked the current draw at the battery and it is pulling .140 Amps with everything off and the key out. I opened the interior fuse box and found that if I pull the interior lighting fuse it drops back to .01 Amp. So it looks like I have a current leak through the interior lighting circuit. I checked all the lights including the trunk and everything seems OK.

The only mod I've made is installation of a Pioneer AVIC head unit a few years ago. I used the correct wire kit, soldered all the connections, etc. and it works perfectly so that shouldn't be an issue.

Does the circuit go through the BCM after the fuse? I checked behind the glove box and don't see any signs of abrasion on the wire harness (though I will protect it for the future.)

Any ideas where to look? Is an interior lighting circuit diagram available?

06 Impulse blue, M6, 17"
69 LeMans vert, stock-looking 455-powered "sleeper"
74 455 TA, HPP magazine cover car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Followup- I left the lighting fuse out overnight and absolutely no drop in battery voltage.

The lighting relay clicks on when I put the fuse in- seems that is what is drawing the power. But no lights come on. Checked everywhere.

Wish this was as simple as my old cars.

06 Impulse blue, M6, 17"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 10:14 PM

I'd try pulling the radio fuse (cannot recall which one it is but pretty sure it's in the inside box).

If no joy, and as much as a pain as it might be, try disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for a couple days/nights to determine if the battery is failing.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

With the battery disconnected, no problem even after weeks. I've had the lighting fuse out for a couple of days now and I'll check the battery charge over the weekend. I don't expect to see a voltage drop.

One thing I noticed is that there is a lighting relay on the right side of the panel and with the fuse in the relay energizes and stays energized even with everything shut down. That's probably where the drain is. But there are no lights on- checked the trunk, glovebox, etc.

When I first posted this I assumed that the fuse was for interior lights only. Now I'm not so sure. I'll check to see which lights work and which ones don't with the fuse out.

06 Impulse blue, M6, 17"
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 08:39 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
These cars seem to have significant parasitic battery drain even stock. I gave up and installed a trickle charger in my garage with a cord that drops down from the ceiling. I always plug it in when I park her.

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

I never had a problem until recently with this one, so something has changed.

I left the interior lighting fuse out and had plenty of cranking power after 1-1/2 weeks, so very sure that the interior lighting relay is what is killing the battery. The relay stays on when the fuse is in even though no lights are lit. So it must be some sort of master and guessing that it gets energized by the BCM?

06 Impulse blue, M6, 17"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You might want to be sure your glove compartment light is off. I've noticed that my door doesn't always close completely and the light remains on.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

The only things that seem to be affected by pulling the fuse are the interior courtesy lights, glove box lamp and trunk lamp. Everything else works fine with the fuse pulled including instrument lighting, headlights, etc.

I've checked to make sure all the lamps are off, and the current draw is only 130mA. Not enough to light a bulb, but enough to drain the battery pretty quickly. Quite sure that is what the relay coil is pulling. I just don't understand why the relay always stays energized.

06 Impulse blue, M6, 17"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:29 AM

I know this thread is from 2015, but am very curious if you were ever able to resolve this problem? I have a very low mileage (21,000) 2004 GTO that has this exact same issue. I get a parasitic draw of 160ma on the lighting circuit. It drops to almost nothing when I pull the fuse or the interior lighting relay. Tried replacing the relay as it was inexpensive, but no change. Verified no lights staying on in any compatments by video recording in these locations with my iPhone. Checked the wires going to the BCM, as it is common that they rub through against the metal underdash structure, but all was fine. I am at a total loss. Since we have identical issues, I am hoping you determined the problem.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:00 AM

Same problem to this old post. My 2005 GTO battery dies after a few day and has been like this for 6 months now without any new mods to the car electronics. Has a parasitic draw of 150 ma and goes down to a normal after pulling the interior illum. (interior lighting) fuse.
New battery, all interior lights have been verified off, trunk light off, glove box light off, ignition key out, new Interior ilum. relay, checked BCM wires for rubbing wear.... Cant seem to figure this one out. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in