Dumb question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dumb question

I had a question and no one I know has an answer to it.....

But what is in the trunk that takes up half the normal space. It feels like a steel plate behind the carpet.

I was told by the dealer that it was the gas tank but that doesn't seem very wise to put it there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:15 PM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSr View Post

But what is in the trunk that takes up half the normal space. It feels like a steel plate behind the carpet.

I was told by the dealer that it was the gas tank but that doesn't seem very wise to put it there.
I belive they r correct. Someone posted that on another thread about trunk space.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSr View Post

Hi alan,
Yes, you are correct.
When the Monaro was converted for the North American market, gov't regulations required relocation of the fuel tank for crashworthiness.
The tank on the Monaro is beneath the trunk floor, which would not pass US regulations.
The tank was relocated atop the rear axle hump. This is actually a quite safe location.
If you were to pull the carpet back, what you would find is an 18.5 fuel tank, surrounded by a steel safety cage. This places the tank well ahead of the rear bumper, and well ahead of the rear crumple zone. Also, being essentially between the rear wheel, it offers superior protection against damage from side impact collisions vs. an under floor tank.
Obviously, the position of the tank is what precipitates the smallish GTO trunk. Surprisingly, the GTO trunk, although small, is slightly larger than the trunk in the 2008 Nissan Altima.

Russ

21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend!

70 Palladium Silver HT 400/AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
2004 YJ M6
2008 IOM G8 GT
Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO Tigers
http://svgto.com

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 PM
formerly NJGoat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I mean for the style of car, the trunk space is pretty generous i think. I bought a cargo mat to match my floor mats I purchased. I have no idea why I did that cuz i dont put nothing back there until I go to Advance Auto or Napa to get my Meguiars car wash, wax, tire hot shine, micro fiber towels, shop towels oil filters for wifes tahoe etc.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,
I was just wondering....
I didn't but the car for the trunk space anyway

I'm getting ready to get some pix so I can post them with my new tail lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in