Feeler: Stealth Shift Light - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feeler: Stealth Shift Light

I am trying to gauge interest in a programmable shift light module that is specifically designed for stealth installation. This particular shift light consists of a super bright 3mm LED that is available in 5 colors – red, blue, white, green, and amber. It is recommended that the LED be mounted in between the A-Pillar and the headliner, and aimed right at the driver’s eyes. In the GTO that I tested the module in the LED wasn’t noticeable at all until the light started flashing at the preset shift point! And, since the LED is at eye level it is detectable in your peripheral vision so you never have to take your eyes off the road!

The module is pretty easy to install, consisting of four wires – switched power, ground, tach input, and programming input. The switched power and tach signal can be tapped under the dash, near the clutch pedal, and the program input and ground were connected at the OEM TCS switch. The TCS switch was used because the programmable shift point is programmed though the OEM TCS switch! There are absolutely no switches, dials, pills, knobs or anything else on the shift light module, just the TCS button.

This shift light is produced by a small company that has been in business for over two years. They specialize in custom niche electronics. The module will come with a ‘no questions asked’ warranty and will cost around $75 shipped. Technical support would be available through Email and through a dedicated online support forum.

If there is enough interest the company in question will become a sponsor of this site, and offer members of this site a promotional group buy price. If you are interested in either purchasing this module or in hearing more about the module please post up!

Thank you,

Kevin Pierson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:28 AM

Chris White already offers a software flash mod that enables the built-in shift light light & tone our cars are shipped with....and it's a great mod indeed.

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/Con...ogramming.aspx

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:39 AM

I would be interested...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
Chris White already offers a software flash mod that enables the built-in shift light light & tone our cars are shipped with....and it's a great mod indeed.

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/Con...ogramming.aspx

I have read nothing but positive reviews about this shift light modification. However, it still has flaws. First, the price is a bit high if only the shift light function is desired (if you want all the other custom options then it's a different story). Second, the light is on the cluster, so you have to take your eyes off the road to see it. The beeping is nice, but I have my doubts as to whether or not it can be heard at the track or when racing loud, high hp cars (like an aggressively cammed big block with open pipes ) . Finally, the shift point isn't user programmable (although different setpoints for each gear is definately cool).

I realize that many people go with the cluster light, but I feel that there are some people who would want better placement and on the fly programability, all in a stealth package.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPierson
I have read nothing but positive reviews about this shift light modification. However, it still has flaws. First, the price is a bit high if only the shift light function is desired (if you want all the other custom options then it's a different story). Second, the light is on the cluster, so you have to take your eyes off the road to see it. The beeping is nice, but I have my doubts as to whether or not it can be heard at the track or when racing loud, high hp cars (like an aggressively cammed big block with open pipes ) . Finally, the shift point isn't user programmable (although different setpoints for each gear is definately cool).

I realize that many people go with the cluster light, but I feel that there are some people who would want better placement and on the fly programability, all in a stealth package.
I spoke to Chris also and he said the shift light can be set to what ever red-line you have the car set to. So if you got another CAM that red-lines at 7100 rpms, the shift light can be set to that. Also the light is bright enough that your peripheral can catch it no matter how hard you are looking ahead at the road! Also, I was told that their was a 1 day turnaround with next day shipping

'05 QSM M6
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 04:00 PM
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ

Chris did mine! I love it! The shift light is just fine. Plus the color changes are a nice touch to the interior's look! Highly recommend Chris's work!

2005 IBM M6
Weld Prostars
Flowmaster Super 40's
Chris White Guage Changes
HPE Cam Package(S-Cam, AR LT's,Lingenfelter CAI,UD Pulley, X-Pipe, Ported Factory Intake)
BMR Drag Bags
440/396
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 04:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to raven1124
+1 Does a great job!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for checking out this thread, there doesn't appear to be much interest in the GTO community for our products, so it's doubtful we'll become a sponsor.

Keep in mind when choosing a shift light, though, that its nice to be able to set a 'street' shift point and a higher track shift point. I personally don't like putting my motor at risk driving it hard on the street, especially on high boost, so my shift point is typically 800RPM lower on the street then the strip.

Here are a few pictures from the installed shift light in a local GTO:

Super bright white 3mm LED mounted in GTO A-pillar (press fit, no holes drilled)

View from side, if you arn't looking for it, you would never know it is there

The LED in the "SHIFT" position (it has two differnt brightnesses, dim and super bright). The LED itself is programmable between 'steady on' at shift point or flashing at shift point.

Again, the shift light we offer is already comercially availible, with a complete warranty, and has been very successful in other markets.

If anyone else has any questions about the shift light we offer let me know!

Again, thank you all for looking,

Kevin Pierson
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 08:43 PM

kpierson...how did you get the lights on ur dash to be red? mine are green and i have a torrid red 05, so it looks weird. is this an 06 feature or something?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin60
kpierson...how did you get the lights on ur dash to be red? mine are green and i have a torrid red 05, so it looks weird. is this an 06 feature or something?

I didn't post that picture, and I don't own a GTO so I can't answer it either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in