Garmin 2730 GPS Hardwiring, Phase 1 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garmin 2730 GPS Hardwiring, Phase 1

Just got the new XM TrafficWatch enabled GPS, the 2730. Great unit for drivnging in the major cities, as it will automatically route you around heavy traffic.

I quickly got tired of the sandbag sliding off of the dash every time I punched the accelerator, so I decided to semi-permanently mount the unit.

I fabricated an aluminum mounting surface under the center dash cover. The Garmin's speaker is built into the cigarette adapter plug, so I had to leave that intact...instead I wired in an adapter, plugged the unit into it, and shoved the whole thing back under the console. It's loud and clear through the console side panel. Snaking the Garmin's power umbilical up was kind of a bitch but I made it happen. I obviously had to perform some major Dremel hack surgery in the center panel to make it fit recessed.

It all, the unit looks great where it's at now and is solid as a rock. The opening on the top is a little larger than I would have liked to facilitate clicking the mount release, but it still looks nice. I will source some edge trim to make it look more seamless. I ordered an extra center dash cover, and the uncut cover pops on after the display is removed...you'd never know it was there. I'm also ordering an extra GPS power umbilical so it remains portable.

I now have a full avionics suite with Bluetooth phone, XM radio, Valentine One ELINT, and traffic-warning GPS.

I got one picture tonight:

More later.

This is just the first phase...next on the agenda (Block 20) is Bluetooth-enabled OBDII engine monitoring for gauges on the PDA phone, and possible removal of the XM Commander head after the audio-in is wired into the Blaupunkt head unit (the Garmin is also a very slick XM radio receiver and MP3 drive)....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 12:41 AM

wow, looks great, how much to do my car like that? can I make an appointment? lol
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 08:46 AM

You’ve officially exceeded the accessories in the gadget mobile. I’ll let Inspector Gadget know he’s been surpassed. Seriously though, that's way more functional than the factory unit, which we can't get anyway. The placement is perfect. Is the Pocket PC your phone?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_V
Youíve officially exceeded the accessories in the gadget mobile. Iíll let Inspector Gadget know heís been surpassed.
Hehe. You spend as much time in the saddle as I do, and you'll see how all these gizmos come in handy.

Quote:
Seriously though, that's way more functional than the factory unit, which we can't get anyway.
Yeah...another thing this Garmin gets me via the XM data signal is weather on demand...I can see if there's snow on the mountain, is there a storm, etc. I can get stocks as well...but that doesn't seem relevant while I'm driving.

Quote:
Is the Pocket PC your phone?
Yes. It will soon also be the OBDII / gauge display / datalogger as well.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 06:48 PM

The Garmin can get live info -- I wish my Magellan could do that. It's over a year old; hmmm, could be upgrade time.

Now, connecting the Pocket PC to the diagnostic port is off the cool factor scale. I didn't even know it was possible.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 12:32 PM

Friggin' sweet. Shipped the panel Friday btw....
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 AM

Nice setup. I have the same gps and what I do is ram it on the left side of the console between the dash and window.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 02:42 PM

Where is the Turbo Boost button? I know that KITT would be jealous.

Looks KICK A$$!!!!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 02:51 PM

Just a heads up....
Warner Robins GTO, I know someone who knows the kids that died in that accident on your sig...... pretty screwed up, stupid kids.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 09:56 PM

That a Siemens SX66 phone? Good choice! Shame they've stopped making them though.

I have a Garmin Nuvi since Christmas and a Siemens Bluetooth car kit that'll be going in soon. Sounds like you pit in a lot of road time as well. Enjoy the toys!

Jim Miller (Siemens Com engineer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in