GTO leather & treatment - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GTO leather & treatment

One thing I've noticed going from my accord to the Goat is that the leather is...umm, different. I won't say worse in the pontiac because it does have it's good qualities. The leather in my accord was much more supple and smoother. The goat has "rougher" but much thicker and apparently more durable (at least to teh touch). Do you guys notice this on your gto's? Could this be simply from poor caretaking? Do you have any suggestions for leather care? I normally wash leather w/ a cloth, warm water, and a small amount of dish soap drying it w/ a clean towel directly after. I was then going to apply armour all leather cleaner/conditioner and then put on a coat of Lexol leather conditioner. My leather is so rough right now though I was thinking I may need to use something stronger than Lexol....any thoughts?? BTW it seems almost to me like the detail people at the dealership put armour all on the leather which in turn dried it out and made it rough from the sun...I'm hoping I can bring it back since it is not cracked at all and visibly in decent shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 10:44 AM

The leather is actually high-quality stuff. I have used Zaino's two leather care products since day 1.

1. Cleaner
2. Leather protector

They have their own names for it, but MY GOD....the stuff works, keeps it soft and smelling like new!!

Hope that helps!
Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EEZ GOAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerGTO
The leather is actually high-quality stuff. I have used Zaino's two leather care products since day 1.

1. Cleaner
2. Leather protector

They have their own names for it, but MY GOD....the stuff works, keeps it soft and smelling like new!!

Hope that helps!
Dave
with the leather protector (any) make the seats slippery?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

can I buy this zaino stuff at autozone or that type of place? is there a website?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to raven1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEZ GOAT
with the leather protector (any) make the seats slippery?
Try Lexol. That stuff is awesome and won't make your seats slippery.

Last edited by raven1124; 06-27-2006 at 01:25 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 10:05 PM

I've heard great things about Lexol and other brands also, but if you're into using Zaino for detailing your exterior....then check out their cleaner and leather treatment. It's not shiney or slippery, but actually absorbs into the leather, and has that leather "new car" smell. I"ve been using it for a year now, and the seats still look like new. No scrapes, no wear marks, and no dulling of the blue seats.

www.zainobros.com if you're interested!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:26 PM

Try "Griot's" Leather Care Wipes. I t cleans and preserves in the same application and doesn't leave the seats slippery either. Lexol is another good product I use to do the serious cleaning and conditioning, and the the Leather care wipes to maintain the finish.

All in all, there are several good products out there, and all have been mentioned. It's personal preference realy...

Good luck,

Chris
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Yeah...hmm I think I need to sit in another GTO to compare. 'Cuz when I say the seats feel rough...I'm talkin rawhide! I mean visually and everything they look great, no stains, tears, smears, inconsistencies...the leather is firm but just feels UN-supple and dried out? I have used Lexol before as I mentioned and was going to try it on my car, but I was hoping somebody may know of a leather conditioner/restorer that was heavy duty or something. My buddy told me to try some Harley saddle stuff that sounded like it was pretty hardcore..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in