I need help!!!! - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help!!!!

Does anyone know how to take off the brake light that's in the rear window? I had a problem with the defroster so they replaced the whole rear window. But, when they did it, they installed a dirty @$$ window. My brake light looks stupid with all the crud infront of it. Would anyone know how to take that off so I can clean it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 AM

I had my window tint people break my tabs that lock it in!!!!! sounds like a blown speaker,,,,but anyway... All you have to do it to just push it down and i think pull it towards you... goes in and out very easy...but if you dont know what you are doing you WILL brake the tab,,,and when you do just use felt around the whole thing where it comes in contact with any metal
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer469 View Post
I had my window tint people break my tabs that lock it in!!!!! sounds like a blown speaker,,,,but anyway... All you have to do it to just push it down and i think pull it towards you... goes in and out very easy...but if you dont know what you are doing you WILL brake the tab,,,and when you do just use felt around the whole thing where it comes in contact with any metal
Hey thanks, but could you explain it a little better step by step so I won't break it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 02:59 AM

the tabs are like a "J" or shaped like that...Just push down on the whole cover and pull it towards you while holding pressure down on it,,, easy to do,, hope that makes it easy for you?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:38 PM

Here's a fool proof way of doing it:

1. Open the trunk and remove the vinyl tabs holding the grey fabric up against the gas tank. You don't need to remove them all. Just the five or so in the center.

2. Fold the carpet down. Look up and under at the sheetmetal that runs underneath the rear window/package shelf. There were be a bunch of screws, tabs and other kinds of crap under there.

3. Look for two rectangular tabs that are sticking down from underneath the rear brake light. Push on them so they go up and through the sheet metal. You'll know you're working on the right tabs because the light will start moving around. The light will sort of pop up a little once you've got them all pushed through.

4. Go into the back seat and lift the light up and toward you. Disconnect the plug.

5. Clean the window really good. You might want to leave the light out for a day or two -- just to make sure this is done right. For whatever reason, windows always look clean when you first do them -- then look like crap later in the day when the sun gets lower in the sky.

You know, you can remove that light permanently. I did. Just search for CHMSL delete. What's nice is that you can do this without an idiot light coming on in the dash. In fact, check it out just so you get a better idea of what the tabs look like: https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.p...t=chmsl+delete

Last edited by b_a_betterperson; 10-04-2006 at 01:41 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson View Post
Here's a fool proof way of doing it:

1. Open the trunk and remove the vinyl tabs holding the grey fabric up against the gas tank. You don't need to remove them all. Just the five or so in the center.

2. Fold the carpet down. Look up and under at the sheetmetal that runs underneath the rear window/package shelf. There were be a bunch of screws, tabs and other kinds of crap under there.

3. Look for two rectangular tabs that are sticking down from underneath the rear brake light. Push on them so they go up and through the sheet metal. You'll know you're working on the right tabs because the light will start moving around. The light will sort of pop up a little once you've got them all pushed through.

4. Go into the back seat and lift the light up and toward you. Disconnect the plug.

5. Clean the window really good. You might want to leave the light out for a day or two -- just to make sure this is done right. For whatever reason, windows always look clean when you first do them -- then look like crap later in the day when the sun gets lower in the sky.

You know, you can remove that light permanently. I did. Just search for CHMSL delete. What's nice is that you can do this without an idiot light coming on in the dash. In fact, check it out just so you get a better idea of what the tabs look like: https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.p...t=chmsl+delete
BA, thank you very much. You are awesome, I was trying to pull it straight off. BTW, that delete looks great. I just may do that....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in