Here's a fool proof way of doing it:
1. Open the trunk and remove the vinyl tabs holding the grey fabric up against the gas tank. You don't need to remove them all. Just the five or so in the center.
2. Fold the carpet down. Look up and under at the sheetmetal that runs underneath the rear window/package shelf. There were be a bunch of screws, tabs and other kinds of crap under there.
3. Look for two rectangular tabs that are sticking down from underneath the rear brake light. Push on them so they go up and through the sheet metal. You'll know you're working on the right tabs because the light will start moving around. The light will sort of pop up a little once you've got them all pushed through.
4. Go into the back seat and lift the light up and toward you. Disconnect the plug.
5. Clean the window really good. You might want to leave the light out for a day or two -- just to make sure this is done right. For whatever reason, windows always look clean when you first do them -- then look like crap later in the day when the sun gets lower in the sky.
You know, you can remove that light permanently. I did. Just search for CHMSL delete. What's nice is that you can do this without an idiot light coming on in the dash. In fact, check it out just so you get a better idea of what the tabs look like: https://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.p...t=chmsl+delete