I need some advice on adding subs... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some advice on adding subs...

Hey guys, I was told by the stereo install guy at circuit city, that because of the design + limited space and the metal support plate behind the rear seats of the gto's, it's difficult to get good sound penetration from additional subs, unless i don't mind using my whole trunk for a big box etc... MTX had a cool setup that had 2 10's back to back and had it's own amp w/ cross over. But the install guy foiled that idea. So anyway, how have you guys gotten around it? What options do I have? That MTX setup was only 250.00 total. But now, I will be looking at 250.00 for 2 10's in a box, + another 200. + for the amp and i won't have enough trunk space for a piece of paper! And on top of that, I'll have a bunch of extra weight to slow me down. What a pisser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 07:20 AM

That'll be cool until your first trip to Lowes!
I thought about doing what you researched, but in the end I didn't want to lose my trunk space. I finally just replaced all the stock speakers with Jensons. BIIIIIG differance!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

you replaced all with same size? (jensons) How about the little stock amp in the trunk? Did you get a big diff in bass as well? Thanks

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 01:12 PM

I've heard a few Goats that have subs in the trunk and sounded pretty good. You can use the trunk brace in the back to bolt up some MDF and mount a sub and a amp rack to that and carpet match the rest. You can get rid of your spare and get AAA and a can of fix a flat put a sub where the spare was . Or you can go all out and have a custom box made to fit in the side panel in the trunk. Umm I think Infinity has a Bass Link that is a powered sub that takes up minaumal space in the trunk you can go with that or anyother compact powered sub. Anytime you do a sub install you have to replace the factory speakers unless the sub will dround them out. Do you have a aftermarket headunit?

Last edited by GM4life; 09-03-2007 at 01:21 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 08:06 PM

Check out this site.

http://subthump.com/gto.htm

I have a AVIC D3 installed in my goat with the bluetooth kit, xm nav/traffic system and I custom installed a zune dock in my center console. I modified the remote eye to to pick up in the front of the car and I have full video of Zune on the system. So I can charge the player while in the car. The steering wheel controls work to. The sound improved 5 fold.

Reason I am saying all this, internet search engines are powerfull tools. You can find out about anything with some time.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 02:06 AM

Infinity Bass link...

I have the infinity bass link 10" model in my kenworth. They have the amp built in. It rocks pretty well. I picked it up on ebay for around $100. Bass is a strange creature, its non-directional so technically you can put it anywhere. But the more space to fill with sound, the more power needed. I usually put kick ass systems in my vehicles, except my hot rods, I like the sound of the engine. When Amps are made of carbon fibre, then....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:16 PM

I just have a 12" Alpine Type R sub in an Alpine factory box in my trunk. It sounds great, I couldn't really use the trunk anyway.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 03:41 AM

I have an amped bazooka tube back there and think it sounds great,,,,
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2007, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the input. not long after posting the original, I decided I couldn't wait any longer and bought an MTX compact bass unit w/ the amp built in. Big difference... I thought I outgrown that "need " to get the perfect system years ago... WRONG... After about an hour of the mtx addition, i felt the shakes and cold sweats coming back... Hey anyone interested in a new set of EBC slotted front rotors?? Less than 150 miles, paid 250. yours for 100.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 05:57 AM

Hey, do you have anymore of those box's available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in