Oil Pressure Gauge ? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oil Pressure Gauge ?

Ok lets hear it why do you suspect a car with 400 horses does not come with an oil pressure gauge I am on my second week with mine hopefully I am not missing something. This just strikes me as odd I would like to know my pressure at all times and I am not going aftermarket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 08:08 PM

You can go stock with the "sports binnacle" from JHP.

Not cheap, but basically "mirror image" stock parts from a Monaro (the GTO part is angled the other way to face the driver of a LHD car).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 12:59 PM

Had I known at the time when I bought my GTO that they are stock items on the Monaro, I would have used that as a bargaining angle and had the dealer install them. I think it's ridiculous that GM removed them. When I first got my GTO, I wondered why the center console gray trim went up on top of the dash. Once I discovered what is SUPPOSED to be there, I was ticked. And now to spend over $600 (mine is an 04) just stinks. I would like to know what idiot made that decision. The stock gauge pod looks awesome and I agree, high performance machines should have an oil gauge, apparently GM disagrees.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH GTO
Had I known at the time when I bought my GTO that they are stock items on the Monaro, I would have used that as a bargaining angle and had the dealer install them. I think it's ridiculous that GM removed them. When I first got my GTO, I wondered why the center console gray trim went up on top of the dash. Once I discovered what is SUPPOSED to be there, I was ticked. And now to spend over $600 (mine is an 04) just stinks. I would like to know what idiot made that decision. The stock gauge pod looks awesome and I agree, high performance machines should have an oil gauge, apparently GM disagrees.
Not to mention a $33K High Performance Car!

The General sometimes has his head up his arse.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 02:43 PM

The BASE price for a Monaro in Australia is $45,000 US dollars. The BASE price for the Vauxhall Monaro $52,000.

What would you rather have? A car that is 50 to 75% more expensive? Or a couple of gauges, a few more air bags, automatic climate control and an integrated phone?

Bitch all you want, but I'll take my $25,999 selling price new GTO EVERY time.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson
The BASE price for a Monaro in Australia is $45,000 US dollars. The BASE price for the Vauxhall Monaro $52,000.

What would you rather have? A car that is 50 to 75% more expensive? Or a couple of gauges, a few more air bags, automatic climate control and an integrated phone?

I agree the GTO is an awesome car at this price, but I still think the gauge pod with an oil pressure gauge s/b standard equipment. I don't mind some of the other items that are missing, compass, power door lock switch, but to not have an oil pressure gauge in a high performance car just seems wrong.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_a_betterperson

Nobody's "bitching". A little sensitive today?

The point was that a 400HP performance coupe with idiot lights is a little bit of an oxymoron.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH GTO
Once I discovered what is SUPPOSED to be there, I was ticked. And now to spend over $600 (mine is an 04) just stinks.
Another '04 drawback is the wiring harness isn't prebuilt for the gauges to "plug and play" - you have to run wiring for them, and I think the '04 kit includes an oil pressure sender and extra wire, making it more expensive.

Of all the things to delete from a high-performance car, the oil pressure gauge was a bad idea.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 08:35 PM

the problem with the guages is, the way they are mounted in the Holdens would not pass saftey regulations in the US,so instead of redesigning or relocating the guage pods they just deleted them to keep the price of the car down..............kinda sucks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

b_a_betterperson, I understand your point but, we live in the USA and in the USA this car sells for $30,000 that is part of the privledge of being an american. In my home country a honda civic would cost you almost $40,000 american dollars. In the US cars in this price range come with Oil Pressure gauges, outside temp among other gadgets. I dont care if this car is built in india it was built for US highways and thats all that matters and on my steering wheel its says pontiac. Bottom line none of this did not deter me from purchasing this sick beast with 400hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Interior Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in